• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tail lights and stuff

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
My headlight module went kaput a few weeks ago. I just got around to putting a new one back in. I got everything hooked up and pulled out the knob and my headlights came on!

I turned the knob and my dome light came on.

My problem now is...my dash won't illuminate and the tail lights won't come on.

I checked all the fuses and they are all fine. I am getting a full guage cluster from a wrecked '85 tomorrow, so I'll see if that fixes the dash illumination. The copper contacts in the current guage cluster are in poor shape. I hope that is all that is the matter.

Now about the tail lights...the brake lights work and the hazzard lights work also. I didn't get anything on the turn signals, but I was checking it when the Jeep was turned off. I think the Jeep needs to be running to make the turn signals illuminate.

What do you all think about the tail light and dash illumination problems. I will tell you that EVERYTHING worked prior to the headlight module going out.

Oh, I did take back the first headlight module thinking it was faulty. It would be hard for me to believe that a second one is faulty as well, so I am fairly confident that is not the problem.

Thanks y'all

Is this for the 85 XJ? What the heck is a headlight module? Are you referring to the switch, or to a daytime running light module, or a headlight sentry delay module?

The headlight switch. The part that the light knob plugs into and controls the headlights, illumination, and dome light.

It mounts behind the dash on the lower left side...had a 9 (I think) prong adaptor that plugs into the top of it.

I guess I was using switch and module interchangably.

Thanks Eagle, for straightening me out on that.

Back