• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rock Lizard/DPG Skid Plate with Rusty's Crossmember?

theksmith

NAXJA Member #1072
I was wondering who really makes these transfer case/belly skid plates - as they appear to be the same thing:

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/rock_attack.htm

http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/tortoise_skids.htm

Who should I buy from (any strong vendor loyalties here)?

Also, I was wondering if anyone knew for sure if they would work with rusty's 1" drop crossmember. It supposedly drops the case without lossing ground clearance, so I would think the bottom would be in the same spot or close enough anyway that the skid plates would work with it - any thoughts?

http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/...tys&Product_Code=CM-200&Category_Code=xj_skid

Thanks for help!

the belly skid is made by Dirk at DPG off - road, Rock-lizard fabrication sells them also, maybe makes them to not sure, but i know somehow they are connected. Ive bought other items from Marty at Rock-lizard fabrication, and he's very loyal. Id recommend him.

Rustys and skidrow TC skids are made to work with a 1" TC drop

the t'case skid and gas tank skid are both joint products from DPG and RLF. Dirk and Marty are both great guys.

It won't work with Rusty's crossmember though, just the factory one.

Order from either one as what Jason said they are joint affiliated. They both have amazing service and I have spent just about all my money on only these two people. Yep I have ordered everything thru dpg or rock lizard fab. I also recommend rawbrown on here and of course Jeepin jason (the last replyer) as he sells the skids too========Kyle

Dirk is a good guy and was very helpfull during my ordering process. I have the Gas Tank Skid and was gonna get the t-case skid but unfortunatly it won't work with an engine trans skid so I have to go an alternate route. Their parts are supper beefy and very well made. If you don't need and e/t skid I would definetly get the DPG t-case skid and not even bother getting a Rusty's piece, and in all reality would be kind of silly having both. The DPG/RLF thing has already been covered and seeing that they are in the same town and sell each others stuff it realy doesn't matter which one you order from.

Thanks for the replies!

I didn't think they would work with a normal transfer case drop, but I thought rusty's drop crossmember might work with them since it looks like it drops the case by being a single piece of 1/4" stock instead of the 2 piece stock design that is nearly an inch thick by itself.

Can anyone with the rusty's drop crossmember confirm that it sits at basicly the same location as the bottom of the stock one?

so if you don't already have Rusty's crossmember, don't bother getting it. Keep your stock one and get the DPG/RLF belly skid.

Or, if you want Rusty's crossmember that badly, just get his t'case skid too.

Jeepin Jason said:
so if you don't already have Rusty's crossmember, don't bother getting it. Keep your stock one and get the DPG/RLF belly skid.

Or, if you want Rusty's crossmember that badly, just get his t'case skid too.

Unfortunately, I need to drop the case as I can't afford new driveshaft/slip yoke eliminator right now.

i have one and love it when i had 31's and 4"s i used it religiously. i would hit the rock with my bumper BANG....BANG thats the belly skid....BANG that's the gas tank skid....BANG thats the hitch. haha i have since modified it to work with the full traction kit and before i used it with 1" t-case drop and have since taken that out and installed a SYE. and it still works great no dents or bends in it to date.

bj-666 said:
i have one and love it when i had 31's and 4"s i used it religiously. i would hit the rock with my bumper BANG....BANG thats the belly skid....BANG that's the gas tank skid....BANG thats the hitch. haha i have since modified it to work with the full traction kit and before i used it with 1" t-case drop and have since taken that out and installed a SYE. and it still works great no dents or bends in it to date.

bj666-what skid exactly did you get to work with your Fulltraction lift and what did you do to modify it? I got the same lift and will need to find some ideas for a engine/tranny skid solution.
Thanks for any info!!

Back