• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where do I start?

JBM

NAXJA Forum User
Well I just bought my first Jeep. It's an 88 XJ. I've been hanging around here for a couple of days just checking stuff out. Looks like you all have information about EVERYTHING.
My first question is where do I start? I mean, how do I find out which transmission and transfercase I have? What about axles and axle ratios? All I can find on the vehical is the VIN and a sticker on the driver's door that has all the information faded away.
Can some please help me out by just tell me how to get started? I'm just real excited about this XJ and can't wait to tear into it!
I'm hopeing to make a VERY capable beach buggy out of it.
Thanks in advance for all the help!!!
I know I will be depending on you all for A LOT of information.

Jason

welcome aboard and congrats on the new XJ!!... start out by telling us everything you DO know about the rig.. model? engine (4 or 6)? transfer case (how many 4wd selections does it have?) ABS brakes or no? that will get you started.. but if you take your VIN to a Jeep dealer they can (and should ) run your VIN and get you a copy of the build sheet.. and they can help you decifer any option codes.. i'd expect to get more help out of the parts department that the service dept for this though.. but if you play it up that you are planning to bring your vehicle to them for maintenance they will do more favors...

The jeep has an Inline Six engine, automatic transmission and the transfer case selector has 2H 4H N 4L. I've also notices that it doesn't have locking hubs. Is this normal for jeeps? I've never had a 4x4 that didn't have locking hubs.
Thanks,
Jason

JBM said:
The jeep has an Inline Six engine, automatic transmission and the transfer case selector has 2H 4H N 4L. I've also notices that it doesn't have locking hubs. Is this normal for jeeps? I've never had a 4x4 that didn't have locking hubs.
Thanks,
Jason

the 6 cyl is the 4.0L engine not to be confused with the 4.2L used in the Wranglers of the same year.. its a good engine and with good maintenance it goes well beyond 200K miles...
the trans is the AW4 automatic.. its a pretty good transmission that was used for most of the production years of the XJ.. it has quirks that some of us dont like but others have no issues at all..
the transfer case appears to be the NP-231 (command-trac).. if it had an additional 4WD selection it would be a different T/case with a full-time 4WD function too...
the lack of locking hubs is because when you shift into/out of 4WD the t/case AND the front axle are both disengaged.. so the front axle is "un-locked" so to speak.. just in a different manner..
the front axle assy is a Dana 30 (disconnect-type, reffering to the way it disengages itself)
the rear is most likely a Dana 35.. but there are variable to this, including ABS brakes.. towing package, and how the assembly line felt on a given day.. :repair: it could posibly be a Dana 44 rear... is the rear diff cover oval/symetrical? or is it more "trapezoidal? with a few flat "sides".. and ASYMETRICAL in design?
stock gears in you automatic trany XJ should be 3.55:1..

Welcome! You'll find alot of helpful info/people on this board. This is the only site I visit now. Cool to hear from another Jason w/ an '88 XJ, lol.

Jason

Back