• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which lift for towing?

karstic

NAXJA Forum User
Ok here it goes…I recently bought a 92 XJ 4wd with 175k. The rear springs are shot. The passenger side sits lower than the right, which is about flat and it looks like the original shocks are still in place. I plan on towing a 2200# tent trailer and my off road use would consist of FS roads and trails in the Sierras to reach hunting and fishing areas and exploring in the east Mojave. I won’t be running any tire larger than 31s, It currently has 235/75R15 Goodyear Wrangler RTS.

I’ve been researching lift kits and can’t decide between a 2” block lift and replacing the stock leafs and adding an AAL or going only the route of something like the RE 3.5” lift with new rear leafs and front coils. Any advice?

Personally, I'd stay away from block lifts. I'm a big fan of getting the right springs, and an AAL is a second choice.

I've towed pop-ups with the stock suspension, Rusty's 3", and now with a hodgepodge (BigOffroad's 4" HD rears, and RE ZJ 4.5" coils). The last has apparently done the best, as the springs are significantly stiffer than stock.

If you're going to be replacing the springs anyway, maybe you do want to consider getting a pair of springs with a short lift. After that, stock springs with a long AAL would be my bet.

Short coil spacers up front to even it out.

ChiXJeff

I went with rusty's 2" AAL budget boost. Just what I needed for towing.......

I tow a pop up. RE 3.5" lift with the aal and then for the sag in the back I added 3/4" lift shackles. With the jeep loaded for camping and the trailor it rides level

I tow a pop-up, tent trailer with the XJ. 4.5" RE lift (3" AAL and shackle) with 1" block and only wish I had more brakes and less miles on the engine.......

Back