• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stiff Steering Annoyances

Jackhill442

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 Country with 195K. I installed a 97 Grand Cherokee steering box and a 97 Grand Cherokee Pump. The pump was from NAPA. I also have only 1 inch of lift and 235/75/15 Michelin LTX's. I do have aftermarket 15X8 inch wheels that stick out a couple inches more than factory wheels. I just wonder what makes my steering so stiff? I would think a Grand Cherokee pump and box would easily handle the lighter cherokee front end. Is it a suspect NAPA pump? The steering is pretty consistent, just harder to turn than other Jeeps. Is it all from the wheels sticking out too far and putting more leverage on the tires? I have had several different boxes, and several different NAPA pumps, and it has never gone away. All other steering components are in good shape. I have heard NAPA power steering pumps are iffy, so could that be it? Please help!

I don't know if it's because of the GC steering box. I've noticed driving my GF's GC 2002 that her steering is a lot stiffer than my XJ. Maybe it's the difference between the cherokee and the grand?

My 98 XJs steering is a lot different than my 89's was. It feels like there is less power steering to me. Some one said that the older XJs power steering was over boosted. I personally like the feel of the 98's steering better.

No, not all GC's have the speed sensitive steering, and yes, I did like the slightly higher effort of mine when it was completely stock, but it was world's lighter than now. Now it is tedious to drive in narrow streets because the wheel is hard to adjust. I just want to know if it is the box, pump, or tires sticking out too far. Can a power steering pump have anything to do with effort, or is it controlled by the box's valving?

Just a thought but I remember a lot of GC's that had strg gear boxes w/ quirky spool valves. The symptom was very heavy strg. effort during quick movement of the strg. wheel. During slow movement it wasn't a problem. There is essentially a torsion bar in the spool valve in the gearbox that is a direct connection to the gear, and when it deflects, it allows boost pressure from the pump to assist strg. in whichever direction you are turning. The valve would travel to far and go past the ports which allowed boost pressure through. Don't recall many customers complaining about it but I always noticed it. Also, yes the pump could be the problem if it isn't producing required flow and pressure.

Last edited:
I had a 87 with the quick ratio box, have an 88 with the standard box, have a 96 with the standard box and have driven the Grand with wider tires. The 96 and the Grand both seemed to have a comparable box, that required a bit of effort to turn, but was much more stable (controlable) at interstate speeds.
You might check the charts at www.larescorp.com and/or E-mail them with your questions. The application charts aren´t as good as they used to be, but the customer service guys have always answered my questions and really know there chit. In the past they´ve set me up with some neat stuff at a reasonable price. They once set me up with a manual, to power conversion for a mid 70´s Dodge 5/4 ton, with off the shelf mounts and a really trick steering box for stock prices. My whole setup cost less than the mounting adaptor alone at most places. Lares has grown and probably isn´t as customer friendly as they used to be, be nice and call during non peak hours.

I just thought that the newer stuff was made to feel "tighter" I personally don't like the loose feeling of my 88.

That brings me to the question of will a GC box fit in the 88?

The GC from 96-98 is the better box with only 3.0 turns, and will definitely fit. Yes, I like the tighter feel too, but this is like manual steering. I don't want it that tight! Thanks everyone and 8mud for the help. I think I might go with a larescorp pump and a box for a 1996 Impala SS/police pkg for quicker, easier steering. Any thoughts on this? I only have 1 inch of lift, and I like good on road handling as much as off road ability because the Jeep is my daily driver. Are there other good companies that ship quality rebuilt steering boxes? Any suggestions welcome, thanks guys.

Digging up a old thread here but I am having a heck of a time figuring out what my steering issue is. I only have one other thing it could be, and I will see if someone mentions it before I do it. So onto the story. My steering was acting up on me on the trail the last time I was out, basically wouldn't turn unless I was moving. If I was stopped I could pull as hard as I wanted on the wheel and it wouldn't move till I started creeping forward. Since then I have replaced the pump and steering box with new rebuilt units. It still does the same thing but worse now. Now when I am driving if I jerk the wheel real fast it wont turn, but if I turn slow it will turn fine but stiff. If I air down the front tires to 10psi it simply wont turn unless I keep stabbing the throttle to bring the rpms up, but again its still super stiff and goes back to not turning when the rpms go down again. Since it did this with the old parts I'm sure its not the parts, unless I got freak parts.

Any Ideas!!?

Well, my idea didnt work and to some degree im happy it didnt. I replaced the fan belt with a super good one thinking that my old one was slipping causing the pump to loose pressure for turning. It did not work and since I replaced all the steering parts that would cause binding im at a complete loss and may have to take it to a shop.

im having the same problem as fivendime, im interested to know input on it also

Bump.....anyone know something about this problem?

Just a thought on this, I fought with overly stiff steering for 2 years on my 97XJ. Finally just started replacing parts, leaving the seemingly good ball joints until last. Had the wifey turn the steering wheel back and forth while I watched the ball joints and saw that the lowers were actually frozen up solid and the entire ball joint was turning in the knuckle!! Replaced with new Moog units and the nice light steering is back. I'm thinking that I was sold a flood car.

Well I'm back at it today. I took it to a professional 4wheel drive shop and they weren't quite sure what it was. They didn't have the correct fitting for the lines to check pressure which is the only real way to test these things. They recommended me to change out the high pressure side of the hose, put a tranny cooler on and an in-line filter on the low pressure side. I have since done this but am still in the process. I also replaced the pump with another remand unit, but am in the process of changing out the pulley. I will post up on the progress. I'm also tossing in some Royal Purple power steering fluid. Basically throwing money at this freaking thing till I fix it :smsoap:

Progress/results will be posted in a few hours later tonight.

Well, the new high pressure hose, new pump, and new fluid did not work :flamemad: So now My guess is I have a bad remand steering gear box. So now I have to pull it and put another one in to see if thats what fixes it and I sure hope it does. If it doesnt I will be taking it to a shop.

Oh, and to clerify. ALL the parts such as ball joints, steering joints (heims) and those components are in top shape and are in great condition. Steering works flawless without being hooked to the box. I can turn the wheels by hand if its on jack stands from lock to lock with ease.

It's possible the steering box is adjusted too tight. Did you install a reman box ? If you rev up the motor to say.. 2,000 rpm the stiffness is the same ? You can drop the box and readjust it. If it was out of adjustment(too tight) then you will know it was the box, and reinstall it. Heres a link to a page how to adjust the saginaw box http://www.chevelles.com/techref/PowerStrgGear(4).jpg Make careful markings before adjusting - so you can tell if there was any diffrence. The input shaft adjustment is most likely the problem. Good luck.

Back