• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix mod - CTS

Digger87xj

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone moved the temp sensor from the block to the thermostat housing on a RENIX 4.0?

Mine shows CT at ~ 180* in the block, (as does the infrared) at full temp when the guage and infrared show 200*+ at the head and t-stat housing.

I'm wondering if I move the CTS up to the thermostat housing if I will see a fuel mileage/performance increase, or if the RENIX software was designed to calculate with the lower temps.

I moved the cts to the airtube on my old 87 xj to try to fool it into colder air. I can't remember feeling any improvement and I never calculated it but I did it dr. dino style through his writeup on his webpage. =======Kyle

I don't mean to hi-jack but has anyone used the thermo housing as a spot for a after market temp gauge sender hook up?Would that restrict coolant flow much?Maybe I'm just day dreaming ..........

The later model engines actually have a thermo housing that has the hole for a temp gauge. I used one and added a temp switch to run an extra electric cooling fan.

offroadman83 said:
I moved the cts to the airtube on my old 87 xj to try to fool it into colder air. I can't remember feeling any improvement and I never calculated it but I did it dr. dino style through his writeup on his webpage. =======Kyle
Hmm did you mean the intake air temp sensor? ... that would fool the 'puter to thinking it's getting a denser air charge....you dont want to move the CTS (coolant temp sensor) there

jeepdeepfreak said:
I don't mean to hi-jack but has anyone used the thermo housing as a spot for a after market temp gauge sender hook up?Would that restrict coolant flow much?Maybe I'm just day dreaming ..........
the HO version puts the CTS there for the computer.

If you have a renix you can buy a t-stat housing for a HO and put the temp sender there no problem.

Digger87xj said:
Has anyone moved the temp sensor from the block to the thermostat housing on a RENIX 4.0?

Mine shows CT at ~ 180* in the block, (as does the infrared) at full temp when the guage and infrared show 200*+ at the head and t-stat housing.

I'm wondering if I move the CTS up to the thermostat housing if I will see a fuel mileage/performance increase, or if the RENIX software was designed to calculate with the lower temps.
After thiking about this for a while, one thing i know for sure is that the 'puter will go into closed loop sooner, so I do think that is benefit enough to move it.

I'm not too sure about mileage increase but there should be some.... fas far as performance goes...nothing noticable....

discussions?

Doh I did mean intake air temp sensor!!!! Oops came home after my 10 hour shift and was a little too tired I guess. Sorry-------Kyle

will the block sender fit into the t-stat housing? they seem pretty different. how are the resistance values for the block vs. t-stat housing sensors?

Micha said:
will the block sender fit into the t-stat housing? they seem pretty different. how are the resistance values for the block vs. t-stat housing sensors?
I havent gotten a new renix sensor and HO housing yet so I can't answer that question... but I'm pretty sure that both the sensor and housing are 1/4 NPT though.

I also have not compared renix to HO sensors for resistance values either but wasn't planning on using the ho sensor.

Back