• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

re: Rock Control XJ Suspension

Re: Rock Control XJ Suspension

It does look like a good set up but I would like to see a picture of the long arm kit by itself. I would like to see some of the axle mount pictures also

its just a copy of the clayton suspension with almost no anti-squat. its prob one of the worse suspensions out there.

tjader said:
its just a copy of the clayton suspension with almost no anti-squat. its prob one of the worse suspensions out there.

So you've used it before? and can you explain why it has no anti squat? I am not challenging you, would like some more reasons for your thoughts.
So far I do like claytons the best from what I have seen. I would really like to see someone put out a good Mid Arm Kit.

tjader said:

You have this susp? Or know of someone running it? Just wondering how you arrived at the conclusion that it is the worst suspension on the market.

no i don't have this suspension but from what i've learned you want anti squat. if you read the article on the zj he says in there he designed his suspenion with no anti squat but otherwise its just a clayton suspension. clayton is about 45 mins from me and i've asked him about this. hes heard of this guy and doesn't believe his suspension is that great do to the little anti squat it posses. the kids only in college and just starting so he hasn't done anything about him practically copying his suspension. rockcontrol goes against what everyone designs into their suspension and wants. i never said it was the worst.

edit
i forgot to say why no anti squat is bad. when you turn with no antisquat the front end will lift up and the rear will sag causing the front left tire to lift up. iso if you turn to hard with no anti squat you can potentially roll onto your side roof ect. so you want anti squat and rock control doesn't have it.

Last edited:

1. Since when does squat/anti-squat have anything to do with the FRONT suspension?? The guy mentions anit-squat in regards to the rear suspension on their ZJ, how are you translating that to the front suspension on an XJ?? Do you even KNOW what anit-squat IS?

2. The only thing similar to Clayton's kit is the arms. Big whoop. They're radius arms using box tubing instead of round. RE was the first to bring the radius arm long-arm design to market, so I guess you could say that everyone else (including Clayton) is just copying RE's original design. To be quite honest, I like the look and design of that RockControl crossmember and mounting system better than Clayton's. The frame mounting design is far more substantial and they include a t'case skid, which IMHO is the biggest "flaw" in Clayton's setups.

Don't get me wrong, other than the lack of t'case protection I think Clayton's kits are top-notch quality stuff. I've never heard even the slightest complaint from anyone with his kits. However, your statements are completely unfounded.

edit: your "edit" proves to me that you don't really understand suspension design or geometry. If you'd really read and comprehended the write-up on RC's ZJ, you'd see that they reduced the amount of anti-squat [in the REAR suspension]. Sounds to me like Clayton put TOO MUCH anit-squat into his ZJ design which caused the rear end to LIFT up under acceleration...

Last edited:

Front suspentions is anti-dive. Rear is anti-squat. And beyond that, it can be partialy fixed with a limiting strap. The biggest issue is roll center. That determines stablitly, especily off camber stuff. On a three link, thats determined by the midpoint of the trackbar/panhard. He doesn't include this with his kit. So its up to you.

woops i was thinking of a 4 link in the rear of a cherokee made my rockcontrol. jeepin jason, you don't have to be such a rude dickhead when someone makes a mistake. no1 likes flamers

why are you taking over this guys thread. he asked a question, i answered, made a mistake and you two start flaming. theres no reason for this. im probably younger than you two and mature enough not to attack people for their mistakes. everyone learns from their mistakes but they ont need people like you to flame them for making a mistake.

and they don't need people like you putting out bogus info. ;)

anyway, sounds like we're all on the same page now regarding the long-arm kit in question.

tjader said:
woops i was thinking of a 4 link in the rear of a cherokee made my rockcontrol. jeepin jason, you don't have to be such a rude dickhead when someone makes a mistake. no1 likes flamers

i live by rockcontrol. they dont make a rear 4 link for the cherokee. try again

ok with out being an "expert" in suspension geometry i liked what i saw. I'm not head over heels in loved with it .... but it has my attention and interest. I want to know more about it. The link to the rock control page didn't have tons of details. :dunno: I hope more chime in with some pros and cons of this rockcontrol kit. :dunno:

Buy it if you can't build it, but build your won track bar mount. HIGH. This will help with stability.

Back