• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

*Clunk* *Rattle* - Possible Driveshaft drama

Bolognablake

NAXJA Forum User
Ok boys and girls, I bought a jeep tonight. I'll post pictures when it light outside.

It's a 96 4x4, I6, 5-speed 2 Door with 126k miles. Really clean. I picked her up for $2300. Pretty schweet if you ask me.

BUT, I have run into a small problem that I didn't hear (notice) till I got off the interstate (after 20 minutes of driving) when I was pulling into my neighbor hood. When I hit a bump I hear a loud *clunk* or *rattle*, such as when I hit a man-hole cover, or the bump at the begginig of my drive way. It's rather loud, so it concerns me. But the Jeep drives great and handles almost as good as my 99'. I got under it and started playing with joints and whatnot and then I got to the front driveshaft. Where the slip-joint is, it seems kinda loose. I can grab it and make it make a *clunk* noise but not really as loud as when I a bump while driving. Anyway this could be completly off, but thats the best I could come up with. Also, It make a clunk when I start it, almost the same noise. Anywho, here are some pics, AND THEY ARE HUGE!
[EDIT]

Just realized I cant post pics...well they're the first two in my jeeppages album. http://jeeppages.com/index.php?cat=10111

Bolognablake said:
When I hit a bump I hear a loud *clunk* or *rattle*, such as when I hit a man-hole cover, or the bump at the begginig of my drive way.

check the shock bushings.... i had a front shock get loose on the top and it made me crazy trying to find it... if you really think its the front shaft i'd pull the shaft and drive it to see if it goes away.. if the slip is lose-fitting i'd look for a replacement used one of call a d/shaft shp to see what it would cost to fix it.... otherwise sounds like a good score with the new rig...

Yeah, other than the the noise, I really happy with it. I should have a day off in a week or so I'll pull the drive shaft then and see what happens. But I was really hoping I wouldn't have too. I'm just shooting from the hip with that one anyway.

Back