• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Problem

Quentin

NAXJA Forum User
This has happend twice now for no reason my entire jeep will lose power every thing goes dead and the motor stops and I have no power no light or any thing, but as soon as I pull the hood release every thing comes back on I checked and the battery does not appear to be arcing on anything. my jeep is an 87 with a 4.0. Any help would be great.

Loose wires/cables?

Try tugging on battery/coil/alternator, etc wires to see if theres a connection that's barely making contact...

on a longshot, check under your steering column

:dunno:

My first guess is that when you open the hood the vibration revives a loose or corroded battery connection. First thing to do would be to disconnect and thoroughly clean the battery terminals and clamps, daub them with vaseline, and reconnect. Check condition of the cables and clamps too. Also check grounds, particularly the braided strap that runs between the firewall and the rear of the engine. It can sometimes corrode away to nothing while still looking good.

Back