• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

free rear axle

tompatjr

NAXJA Forum User
I have a business partner that replaced a rear axle in his 97 dodge 2500 diesel. The axle started howling he said so he found one used and swapped his for it. It has been almost one year and it was supposed to be picked up as a core, but hasn't been. It is sitting out side of the mechanics shop and he said I could have it.

First, what do you think about the ethics part of this? I would like a free axle but feel funny about taking it. Is there a time limit on stuff like this?

Second, what kind is it?

Third, what options for putting it under a XJ far as width, brakes (it only has backing plates)?

since its a diesel, its going to be a strong beast.. not sure the exact axle, but I know the ram 1500 guys swap for the diesel axles... as far as ethics... it depends on the back ground of the "core" and such... a year is a long time though... I would guess your going to have issues with the width... and of course custom mounts... if your going big.. it may be a good deal.. or at least a cool planter in the yard.

It's a Dana 70, or Dana 80 in all likelyhood. That's gonna be a little overkill for your XJ.

im running a d70 in the rear of mine, it is out of a dodge with cummins and it was a dually. there is a possibility of it being a D80 but i would assume it's only a D70. it is not overkill for an xj there are alot of people running them.

most are 35 spline 1.5"dia shafts, and the spring perches are only like 1.5" different from the stock xj springs. (atleast the dually was, i doubt the results would vary between DRW and SRW)

if you still can i would get it, for that "just in case project"

as for the brakes i have a complete set of brakes (semi-new) i could get rid of for super super cheap. or you could get disks put on the back.

Well I will probably get it, since it's free and I have room for it. Also, how can I tell the diffrence between a 70 and 80? As for brakes if I ever did use it I would def do disk.

i know for a fact that the d70 tubes taper right before the drum backing plate, i have never looked at an 80 up close, so they might do the same...

sorry i am no help :D

Just look at the diff, at the lower right corner will be the number of the axle.

Like this

aac.sized.jpg

Back