• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding cruise to 93 Sport

Chancer

NAXJA Forum User
I've just pulled the cruise servo off a 94 Limited with an eye to fixing it onto my 93 Sport. Has anyone already done this? My main concern at the moment is that I can't see the electrical connector to the cruise - I guess it must be there somewhere, but I think it must be hidden beneath the washer reservoir. I suppose the wiring loom will have it on, but does anyone know for sure?

Also, have I got to remove the whole clock spring assembly etc to install the new stalk, or does the stalk just click out somehow?

Thanks!

Last edited:
You can remove it without pulling the wheel but it's not very easy. If you don't have an air bag you can do it pretty easy with the proper tool. There are a few write ups around here, run a search. I'm sure you'll find the intel.

I've managed to collect all the bits up, but had a bit of hassle last night figuring out where/ what the cruise wiring (as opposed to the wiper & indicator wiring) plug fits into: any thoughts anyone?

Don't have cruise on my '90, and haven't really given much though to adding it as of yet, but what I do when I'm adding options mine did come with, such as my fog light wiring I did yesterday, I go to my local wreckers u -pull lot, and I go over the cherokees I see there, carefully seeing how what I'm working on is done, where it goes etc, rather than playing with mine first. It's better to rip apart a junker and go 'oops' than do it to your own. If you 'oops' on yours, can be more $$$$ and hassle to fix again. There's not a lot of people looking for much on cherokee's on the ones I see, so gives me time to go through and see how things are put in, or wired etc. Also good to take a digital camera with you to take pics for reference as well.

Good luck! Maybe do a write up with pics when you're done detailing what you've done and gone through for others. I'm sure others who want to do this would greatly appreciate it!.

Unfortunately I only managed to remove the stalk from the column yesterday - if I'd got it off when I first tried removing it, which was a year ago, I wouldn't have the problem of trying to remember where the bl**dy thing came from in the first place! Also, it was the only XJ at the yard with cruise, so I'm kind of stuffed until I'm able to compare it with another one. However, I am thinking of doing a writeup, yes, so my digital camera will be pressed into service once again.

While I'm here, I can't find the wiring for the servo - could it be tucked inside the loom ducting? I removed the washer fluid bottle, assuming that it would be hidden under there, but I couldn't find it.

Nope, Google's drawn a surprising blank. One thing came up though: do jeep cruise controls utilise a clutch switch, given that I'm fitting it onto a manual?

I would guess the wiring is there but make sure the connector for the servo is the same. Some year they changed the type of connector.

OK, I spent last night under the dashboard (hardly got a wink...) so, for the benefit of all masochists who fancy doing what I'm hoping to, this is what I found:

The orange spade connector that holds the cruise wiring fits into a plug issuing from the firewall directly above the accelerator pedal. It appears to be an offshoot of the main engine wiring (which it shares the hole with) which I assume goes to the PCM. It's a typically square plug, and doesn't look like it should take the connector at all, but it does.

As for the wiring for the servo, I found that tucked down underneath the battery tray, and it's exactly the same as on an automatic.

My brake switch had exactly the same part number on it as the one I pulled off the donor, so it's staying in place. I did notice that there's another hole on the bracket attached to the brake pedal which could take another switch similar to the brake pedal switch, but looking through my FSM, I can't find what it's for, so I'm assuming it's a jeep thing.

Now my only problem is where to move the LPG piping and solenoid to, since they're taking up the space in which the servo should sit!!

Thanks to all for your help.

I have an 87 with cruise control. It stopped functioning before I got the vehicle, but I think it is all there. I won't be able to look at it under lights until tomorrow, but I will check it out. The plastic suround on my wiper stalk broke and I have to replace it anyway.

-Copperhead

Absolutely! Do you have just one switch attached to the brake pedal? And, if you fancy grubbing around in your footwell, do you happen to know what the part number is, since it would be good to see if it tallies with one off an automatic?

Chancer said:
Absolutely! Do you have just one switch attached to the brake pedal? And, if you fancy grubbing around in your footwell, do you happen to know what the part number is, since it would be good to see if it tallies with one off an automatic?

The brake switch should be the same for a stick or auto.

St3mpy said:
I only see one switch. Sorry, but i couldn't see the p/n. Mabey when I get more time, I'll go back out and check.

84-90 had two switches. One for the brake lights and cruise control and one for torque convertor lock and cruise control vauum dump.

The brake switch is the same from 91-96. The original part # is 56006248 and it supercedes to 56006981.

Chancer, did you ever finish this install?

For anyone who can help. I am wanting to add CC to my 94, using parts from my wifes 94. I plan to swap the entire steering column to my rig so i dont have to mess with the stalk.

Is it as simple as swapping the parts over? In another thread i read the ECM may need to be swapped?

Back