• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm getting ready to replace my radiator, who want to give me some pointers?

getoffmylawn23

NAXJA Forum User
I have quite a few questions so please bear with me.
I finally decided to start doing things on my own now that I have some days off from work. As soon as I made up my mind on that subject, my radiator decided to bite the bullet. So I have to change this damn thing on my own even though I have to idea how to do it. I decided on a GDI 3-core, which comes out to $139 with a life-time warranty. At the same time I'm going to be changing my thermostat since it popped open when my radiator blew casing my Jeep to overheat, and I'm changing my oil since I'm due.
Now the thermostat and oil I have no problem with, I've done both before. The radiator though, I've never messed with. I printed out the write up from jeepin.com and I'm just going to follow that for the most part. The only thing that I'm not sure of is removing the factoy skid plate. I tried to do it once, but I couldn't remove the freaky bolts they used to put that thing on there. Also, while I'm there i'm going to replace all of the radiator hoses, since as far as I know it's never been done. What hoses will I need? I know I can just replace them and then take them to the parts store, but I'd rather have the stuff before I start.
Also, I was wondering if it's be worth it to install a tranny cooler. I have an automatic transmission with 146k on it, and I'd like to squeeze as much life out of it as I can. Does anyone know of ant write ups on this, or at least some recommendations? I'm still a bit lost.
Thanks in advance,
-Edward

getoffmylawn23 said:
I have quite a few questions so please bear with me.
The only thing that I'm not sure of is removing the factoy skid plate. I tried to do it once, but I couldn't remove the freaky bolts they used to put that thing on there. Also, while I'm there i'm going to replace all of the radiator hoses, since as far as I know it's never been done. What hoses will I need? I know I can just replace them and then take them to the parts store, but I'd rather have the stuff before I start.
Also, I was wondering if it's be worth it to install a tranny cooler. I have an automatic transmission with 146k on it, and I'd like to squeeze as much life out of it as I can. Does anyone know of ant write ups on this, or at least some recommendations? I'm still a bit lost.
Thanks in advance,
-Edward

I cant help you with the skid plate since I dont have one but I will say that it is definately a good time to install a tranny cooler. The size and quality of the tranny cooler you get depends on how much you want to spend for it. I put a factory XJ cooler in mine (the service manager owed me a favor so it was free) and it plugged right in. There are no real tricks to doing the radiator or tranny cooler. Follow whatever instructions are with the tranny cooler you get and youre in business. My only advice is to be careful and patient with the fan shroud. When they get some age on them, they get brittle and will break easily, Im on my third one. (Im tough on plastic pieces though)

For the hoses just go to the dealer with your model.year or the vin number, they will have the correct OEM hoses with the same bends and correct sized ends on them. When removing the hoses from the heater core near the firewall cut the hose length wise with a razor knife and peel it off the cores bung, dont pull it or twist it, you might break one off and then you're in for it... Also replace the pressure cap. Might even want to do the fan clutch and maybe even the water pump as it's easy now and murphys law comes into play. You should realize that if you don't do the pump and fan clutch they will fail at the worst possbile time in the very near future...
Use new coolant, I prefer mopar, and DISTILLED water from the grocery store.
I run a bead of Indian Head gasket cement around the first inch or two of the inside of the hoses. Use new hose clamps, the factory hoses will have new ones installed on both ends of the heater hoses..
Thats about it off hand, oh, burp the system, remove and clean the overflow bottle and get all the crud out then refill with a 50/50 mix.

Back