• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP - looking for thread size

XJoachim

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everybody,

i need the thread size of the tie rod end that is used in the stock XJ at the drivers side knuckle. Is this a 5/8-18 thread? I have to buy tap and die and have to verify the size.

Thanks in advance

Joachim

no, its wierd.....something like 11/16-wierd.....

I'm in the manufacturing biz, so I am exposed to just about every machine tool supply vendor under the sun, and I could not find the right 11/16-whatever tap for the left side.....the right side was easier, but expensive as hell, the left side forgit about it, the tap that i did find was like 85 bucks or something ridiculous....

if you need me to find out what the thread pitch was, i can. I just can't remember it at the moment.

Thanks for your help, i found out the same 11/16 - 18 and it is impossible to find a tap and die in this size in germany, Nobody has it. Bad thing about it is that those tie rod ends are also used on Rusty's track bar for example.

I bought a 5/8-18 and i was able to "ream" the threads enough for the new tie rod to get in. The rod end was out of Rusty's track bar and it was rusted so heavily that it broke off while i tried to unscrew it. I drilled it out in my neighbours shop using metric drills which were slightly smaller than the threads and after removing the debris i was able to ream the threads with the 5/8-18

It was a HD bushing end from Rusty so i just cut off the threaded part of a tie rod and welded it to the bushing.

I'm currently thinking about replacing the tubing of the track bar with something that can hold bigger threads and would add some stability to the track bar too.

What DOM tubing woulb be perfect to hold a 3/4 thread? Or should i go with a heavy tubing and use the spidertrax weld-in inserts?

I highly suggest you source out threaded tube adapters....

rolled threads are stronger than cut threads, and some/most tube adapters are manufactured using rolled threads.

when you buy tube adapters, sometimes called "bungs" Suppliers will sometimes/usually provide the exact tubing size they are intended for, and even give options for different wall thickness too.

I generally do not like to use wall thicknesses less than .188 for steering linkages. .188 is good, .250 may be better depending on your religion. One Ton used to purposely use .120 wall so that would be the weak link for his hydro system.....I think he has since changed his religion.

I think you are referring to those parts that i called weld-in inserts

fabrication_ins1.jpg

They are designed to fit in a 7/8 inner Dia. tube, i know that 1 3/8 tube is available with that inner dia. means it has a 1/4" wall thickness.

Do you think that would be strong enough for a track bar? I will raise my track bar on top of the axle along with a over the knuckle steering.

absolutly strong enough for a tracbar...

I assume you have sources in germany, if you don't, I could point you to a few american vendors.

good luck!

Tubing is no problem and i already know Spidertrax, Avalanche and found another link yesterday, Polyperformance.

If you know any other i would appreciate if you shoot me an e-mail.

Thanks for helping, i will post results, but this will take some time. Too much work, too little time :rolleyes:

those are good ones, you'll be all set.

MORE is another one.

also, don't foregt about race car shops. I've bought many things for my jeep from places like

Chassisshop.com
racecar wholesalers
speedway engineering
many others.

There is a very good source in south Florida called Chassis Engineering...they can be found on line...i have gotten a lot of stuff from them..great guys...they are a dragracing shop..but they have everything..

:mad: I shouldn't talk loud about my plans :mad:

I was wheelin today and bent my track bar (Rusty's with HD frame mount) at the lower bend. Is now about 90° so i have to fabricate the new one quick.

While i'm on it i will change the mount and go over the knuckle with my steering. Any ideas to share with me about the sway bar links, where to move to and how?

:D :D Shame on me :anon: but this is my daily driver too (for now) and i don't want to drive on the public roads without the sway bar connected. :rolleyes:

I'm looking for a cheap XJ as a daily driver but still heven't found one so i have to think about the sway bar links.

Back