• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

questions on 2low install??

JT Spencer

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know if you can do it on the jeep, or do I need to pull the t-case?

Thanks

No problem doing it in the vehicle although its not much more work to pull it and have everything out in the open!

89 xj, 4.0, auto, 231 t-case, Yah I am just being lazy. It would be my first time pulling the t-case . Probably should just to learn more.

Thanks

Pulling it shouldnt be to hard, but Ive never pulled a Cherokees tcase. It would also be very helpful to have a lift, but you might not have one avalible.

It makes no difference what year. Like has been said, you can do it in the vehicle, but it's actually easier to take it out and do it on the bench. I've done it both ways, the first time in the rig and every time after that (many) I did it on the bench. Once you have everything disconnected....both driveshafts, the linkage, and the speedo cable, you're six bolts away from having it out. It is easily worth messing with those six bolts to be able to split the case and work on it on the bench. To make it easier to reach the top bolts just let the trans/t-case hang on the motor mounts, then the only bolt that's hard to do is the one behind the exhaust hanger but you just have to be patient with it.

I'd replace the plastic tabs on the shift forks while you have it apart, and maybe the front seal depending on how many miles are on the vehicle. Those plastic tabs are cheap at the dealer. Another thing I'd do is replace the four small plastic bushings in the t-case shift linkage. The 2low adds a position all the way back, and if those plastic bushings wear a little you can have trouble getting it into 2low. Cheap insurance to avoid some trail frustration.

http://jeepin.com/features/tera2lo/index.asp

Personally I'd never pull a t'case to do an SYE (done 4 of them) or 2LO kit (done one of them). Too much hassle to get the t'case out IMHO. Sure, it's easier to work with the 'case on a workbench, but the PITA of removing it and bolting it back up outweighs the benefits.

Thanks for all the advice.

I will get it on order and end the 3 point turns, and front drive shaft removal for flat towing!!

I will try it on the jeep, sounds easy enough.

Thanks again to all.

doing it on the bench eliminates alot of the chance for dirt/crap from the top of the t/case getting inside the case too... i'd take a few extra minutes to do the 6 more bolts for the opportunity to inspect the entire case and assembly and clean it properly, and not have to spend the entire project on my back with my arms above me...

I've done it both ways, and it's easier to work on sitting on the bench. I'd pull it.

I am starting to see the reasons to pull it. And since I do have 190k on it I should do the front seal.

Thanks for all the advice.

Let's see.......

Pull six more bolts, slide the case back and lower it to my chest, rollover and set it on the ground, pick it up and set it on the bench.

Or....

Undo all the case bolts while laying on my back under the rig, and the bolts for the rear housing, and the front yoke bolt, and pry the case apart with oil dripping down, pull the case apart and both output shaft assemblies and sprokets and chain, inspect all the parts, mess with the front output seal, install the new parts and reseal the case and install all the bolts, seal and install the rear output housung, torque the front and rear output shaft bolts...........all while laying on my back under the rig.

Been there, done that......no thanks. My choice is to do it on the bench, which I've done many times.

buncha old farts... :D

guess I'm just used to doin' 'em with the t'case still up, so it's no big deal to me. Air tools make quick work of all the bolts. Had my t'case apart 2x and the t'case in our TJ apart 2x, and installed an SYE for a friend, and never bothered to remove the 'case from the vehicle. Our rigs are also tall enough that I can nearly sit upright underneath them (I'm a skinny fella, and only 5'11") which makes the work easier.

When I did my first SYE, I'd actually planned to pull the t'case, then I started looking at the bolts/nuts that held the t'case to the tranny, and realized what a pita it was going to be to get to some of them, especially that top bolt, which you really can't get to unless you drop the crossmember and lower the whole tranny. In fact, first time around I couldn't even locate the top bolt with the tranny/crossmember still in place. I decided the hassle and extra work of removing the whole t'case wouldn't be worth the ease of working on it on a work bench, so I split the t'case on the vehicle. If you look at my write-ups on Jeepin.com on the original JB SYE kit, the JB SuperShort SYE kit, and the Tera 2LO kit, they were all done with the t'case on the vehicle. Unless I had to do other work on the tranny or the crossmember, I woulnd't do it any other way.

To each their own though. ;)

Jeepin Jason said:
buncha old farts... :D

To each their own though. ;)

I think you have it there, Jason. :)

I have to spend enough time under there when I have no choice, so when I have the choice I go to the bench.

Back