• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiper motor innards

XJade

NAXJA Forum User
I've done a search and found some info on wiper motor internals but not much. I have further questions perhaps someone could answer seeing as I'd like to repair the sucker if possible. If not then I'll shell out the $90 for a new motor.

1) I opened up the cover and did notice the three electrical contacts underneath the cover. Each were slightly curved. Are they supposed to be like that? Or do they lay flat?

2) The worm gear mentioned here:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=19599&highlight=wiper+motor

had a little bit of black crap on it which I cleaned off with a rag. There was some grease on the metal surface of the gear. Will that grease interfere with the operation of the three contacts and gear?

3) What exactly is that grease on the plastic gears? It's a yellowish paste. Should I add more? Or get the old gunk out and add new grease?

4) Can rebuild kits be bought for these? Who offers them? And what exactly is in the rebuild kits?

Thanks for any help.

1987XJ 4.0 Auto

I´ve never had the wiper motor apart, think 5-90 has, might ask him.
General small motor stuff, the yellow paste on most other motors I´ve messed with, I´ve replaced with white (lithium) grease, has worked for me.
Most of the problems in the motors were the brushes or worn bearings allowing the armature to hit and jam while turning.
A volt test at the connector, a (ohm) continuity test and a short to ground test at the motor, might help, to figure out if the problem is in the motor or the supply circuit.
Have also seen the thrust washers (spacers on the shaft ends) wear and allow the shaft and armature to move to far (end play) and jam.
Not sure about the wiper motor, but small motors often have a bi-metal built into the windings (like a little auto reset fuse) that wears out. May or may not be in the wiper motor. Often looks like a small light bulb or even a shiney diode.
Two circuits in the motor, the run circuit and the park circuit. Often a diode (in many small motors) in between the run and park circuit, in small motors. Might try moving the wiper to the off park position, the turning on the key and see if it wants to park. Might be one circuit or the other messing up.
This is just general small motor stuff, not wiper motor specific.

Most of the wiper problems I´ve had, were the linkage jamming from worm bushings, the circuit breaker falling out, or a short in the circuit causing the circuit breaker to trip. A quick test is to try the wash position, it shares power with the wiper.

Back