• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windshield molding

Roxtar

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know how to remove the outer molding (trim) around the windshield? Does it just pry off or is there more to it?

Others may better answer this, but it does pry off in a fashon. I was watching when my new windshield was put in. There's a special hook-type tool that he used to get under it and do it.

I just called an auto glass company and they said it wraps around the windshield. I have to pull the windshield to reseal it.

kid4lyf said:
I just called an auto glass company and they said it wraps around the windshield. I have to pull the windshield to reseal it.
Depends on what year. The 84-96 use stainless steel trim that's held on with plastc clips. They do pry off, but if you don't have the correct tool AND use it carefully you can crack the edge of the glass. With the metal trim you do NOT need to remove the glass to reseal.

The 97-01 uses a gasket that goes on before the glass is set. On those you do need to remove the glass to reseal, and the trim (obviously) does not pry off.

Careful if you do it yourself. On the later models it is part of a urethane
seal that actually adheres the glass to the car. Most places uses something like piano wire and two wooden dowels to sort of cut thru the urethane. Even being careful, sometimes the glass breaks when trying to pull it. Assuming you have a leak, if you know where it is, you may be able to shoot some urethane from the inside using an extended applicator.

Back