• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Truetrac LSD

falcon556

NAXJA Forum User
Has anybody tried the truetrac LSD?
Does it work on ice or snow where the traction is very low?
Do you like them?

I have a Truetrac in an 88 MJ. I like it very much.

In ice and snow, however, there's little difference between a clutch type LSD (limited slip differential), a gear-driven LSD like the Truetrac, and a locker. The factory Trac-Lok is a clutch type, and on slippery stuff the tires don't have enough traction to override the clutches, so it's effectively locked all the time. The Truetrac engages and disengages, and although I am aware of when it does so more than with a Trac-Lok, I don't find it to be a problem. On dry pavement it is more aggresive than a Trac-Lok -- the 88 MJ almost always chirps the right rear tire when leaving my driveway, the 87 MJ with Trac-Lok does not.

on the gear driven TORSEN style LSDs there is a point where it will operate like an open diff. They usually have a torque bias limit going up to 5:1 (I think some go that high). Once you excede that limit, the tire with the least traction will just spin. Not sure how that translates to actual real world driving in a jeep, but thats the theory behind the TORSEN LSD. As long as both tires on on solid pavement, it will behave a little more aggressive than a clutch type LSD and will also last longer as there are no clutches to wear out.

Eagle said:
I have a Truetrac in an 88 MJ. I like it very much.

In ice and snow, however, there's little difference between a clutch type LSD (limited slip differential), a gear-driven LSD like the Truetrac, and a locker..

Thanks, I was concerned that on ice or snow it would act like open, gear types need some friction. I didn't know that the little friction ice provides is enough to make it work.

Eagle said:
I have a Truetrac in an 88 MJ. I like it very much. In ice and snow, however, there's little difference between a clutch type LSD (limited slip differential), a gear-driven LSD like the Truetrac, and a locker.

Just so that I'm completely clear here, you're saying that a TrueTrac in the rear axle will behave the same as a locker on icy roads. Is that right?

The reason that I'm asking is because I REALLY want some sort of traction differential. I had considered the Powertrax No-Slip, but thought a TrueTrac might be easier for my wife to handle on icy roads (since my weekend, hunting, camping, 4-wheelin' Jeep is her daily grocery-getter).

Maybe bad logic?

I have TrueTracs front and rear, D30 and D44, with a 242 t-case. I had it in the snow for the first time last week. In 2HI I can sit a spin, but in 4 Full-time the traction is awesome. No noticable wheel spin and no wheel locking under moderate braking. I was able to drive just as if I was driving on dry pavement.

--Matt

dmillion said:
Just so that I'm completely clear here, you're saying that a TrueTrac in the rear axle will behave the same as a locker on icy roads. Is that right?

The reason that I'm asking is because I REALLY want some sort of traction differential. I had considered the Powertrax No-Slip, but thought a TrueTrac might be easier for my wife to handle on icy roads (since my weekend, hunting, camping, 4-wheelin' Jeep is her daily grocery-getter).

Maybe bad logic?
A functional LSD is NOT going to act like an open diff on ice or in snow. It's going to drive both rear wheels (assuming rear axle install), and to someone who doesn't expect it, that can result in fish-tailing or spinning out. A Trac-Lok can and will do the same thing.

It's a trade-off. I've corresponded with any number of people, mostly hard-core wheelers, who are petrified by the very thought of driving a limited slip diff in snow. Dunno why. I've been driving rear wheel drive and 4WD vehicles with LSDs in the rear for very nearly 40 years, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

The primary complaint is that the tail of the vehicle tends to slide sidewise when going uphill on a cambered road surface. I can deal with that. Crank the wheel a little and go up the hill slightly sideways (crab walk). The alternative is to sit at the bottom of the hill with the right rear wheel spinning. You don't spin out, but you also don't get home for supper.

The tail sliding is going to happen with locker, a Trac-Lok, or a Truetrac.

Eagle said:
A functional LSD is NOT going to act like an open diff on ice or in snow. It's going to drive both rear wheels (assuming rear axle install), and to someone who doesn't expect it, that can result in fish-tailing or spinning out. A Trac-Lok can and will do the same thing.
The tail sliding is going to happen with locker, a Trac-Lok, or a Truetrac.
I have a Truetrac in the rear, yesterday I did some limited testing on ice.
It seems that with one wheel on smooth ice it spins like an open.
I was a bit disappointed. I'll do some more testing next chance I get.

True Tracs require a little friction to "activate". It's a known issue when one wheel is in the air, or on a frictionless plane. Tap the brakes.

The reason I went with LSD front and rear over a "locker" is because I live in snow country. I wish that a Tru-trac was availible for the 8.25 when I did mine, that is what I would have bought. I think there is a difference between a LSD and a Locker on Ice but not much. The LSD is more forgiving than a locker but it can still cause tail sliding or even a end to end swap. I love mine in the snow and trust it carefully on ice. ChiXJeff is right, if one side is slipping just tap the brake, it's locked then.

ChiXJeff said:
True Tracs require a little friction to "activate". It's a known issue when one wheel is in the air, or on a frictionless plane. Tap the brakes.
I knew about the "wheel in the air" issue, I didn't know that there is a "wheel on ice" issue also. I wonder if it will work on snow or mud.

Yes, it will work. It's not uncommon for an icy surface to not have enough traction to get the TrueTrac to engage.

Try out the no-slip first. You won't have to setup gears and the resale value is pretty high so you can put it toward a truetrac if you hate it. The no slip is unbelieveably smooth on the pavement(like driving open diffed) , and practically silent if you're worried about that. As said before all traction devices are going to behave more or less similarly on icy hills, If you're going to spend the money and you wheel it, you might as well step up to a full locker.

ChiXJeff said:
Yes, it will work. It's not uncommon for an icy surface to not have enough traction to get the TrueTrac to engage.

I use Amsoil synthetic lube, is it possible that the oil is reducing the friction more than regular lube would and it affects how it performs on ice?

Back