• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4WD is out! help please....

wildman

NAXJA Forum User
haven't used my 4 wheel drive in about 2 weeks(don't use it often anyway, maybe once a month). Didn't use it hard, was kind of a just in case situation. ended up not needing it much at all. Well, yesterday, I engaged it and noticed the light didn't come on on the dash, and I didn't feel any 'pull' so i disengaged and made my way to the hunting blind in 2WD. I got home and lifted the whole jeep off the ground and placed the t-case in 4WD. front driveshaft was spinning like it was supposed to, but the tires were'nt movin. I haven't yet takin the diff-cover off yet. I don't hear any sound coming from the diff (no clanks or grinding or anything) so I'm hoping it may be a minor problem. any help would be appreciated...any ideas as to what may be wrong? 1989 jeep cherokee laredo 4x4

check to see if the vaccum lines have come off the axle disconnect. I bet thats yer problem. Seen it all the time. If they are on. take them off and see if you are getting vaccum to them. If not you might have a bad switch in the tcase or a line cracked somewhere..they do that since they are hard plastic.
Betting on the lines being pulled off the disconnect though.

The lines run from the pass side front of the front axle (near the 4x4 actuator on the axle) back to the t-case and also up to the 4x4 light sensor on the fender well on the pass side and also to the vacum bottle hidden up behind the front bumper..

The place where they come off usually is on the front axle.. I've put a zip tie on mine and haven't had a problem in years.. I also replaced all the hard plastic lines with rubber vacumm lines.. what a difference..

Hope that helps..

Bill

well, there was a line hooked into what i guess is the actuator that was off the other day when i had it on blocks. it had two holes on it and plugged on to two metal ports from the back. i plugged that in and it still didn't work so i cleaned it and reconnected it. well, i took the line that plugs in from the side by the tire and unplugged it and it let out a good bit of air(thought maybe that was a bad idea afterwards) anyway, i plugged it back in and dropped the t-case into 4WD. needless to say, i was delighted to see that yellow light come on on the dash and feel that awesome pull of good ol' cherokee 4WD. thanks alot guys, i appreciate your help. now, to just find my keys..................

Back