• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

winch and running warmer?

lankchevy

NAXJA Forum User
okay i got my winch new winch on, and the next day i get a heating problem, put in a new t-stat, then the old rad cap started leaking, so got a new one, then the water pump went out, and i fixed that. so now its not overheating anymore. but.....before the winch it would never get above 195 or 200. and now its running 200-210 all the time and even crept up to 215 for a little bit sunday when i was out wheelin. did anyone else's xj run hotter after installing a winch in front of the radiator? or do i still have some other cooling system problem? im thinking about raising the back of the hood about an inch, how much did this help anyone thats done it?

kolby

I have heard that adding a winch may cause cooling problems. Added blocks to the back of the hood should help ther was a tread on this i wanna say 2 days ago and the guy said it help 10 or so degrees i think. What did u get for a winch?

lankchevy said:
okay i got my winch new winch on, and the next day i get a heating problem, put in a new t-stat, then the old rad cap started leaking, so got a new one, then the water pump went out, and i fixed that. so now its not overheating anymore. but.....before the winch it would never get above 195 or 200. and now its running 200-210 all the time and even crept up to 215 for a little bit sunday when i was out wheelin. did anyone else's xj run hotter after installing a winch in front of the radiator? or do i still have some other cooling system problem? im thinking about raising the back of the hood about an inch, how much did this help anyone thats done it?

kolby
Mine didn't change much but if you are running at 210 you are running where you should be anyway. Its only logical that a winch would take up lots of space needed for air to travel...I guess it might have to do with how well your cooling system was working before. Check and make sure that there is nothing(mud,small rocks,birds,bats,bugs,ect ect) restricting air flow. Could help I don't know.

No one has a winch any higher or more tightly nestled into the grill than mine. Your winch is not causing an overheating problem. At worst, it was the last straw that pointed out a cooling system waaay past its prime. You need to get a decent radiator, do a couple of chemical flushes and make sure every component is up to snuff. Adding vents or raising the rear of the hood will allow hot air out from under the hood more easily, thus making the cooling system work more efficiently. However, neither is necessary with a properly functioning cooling system even with a winch tucked right up in front of the radiator.

what he said.

i used to always run at 210 and frequently on the verge of 220. i finally figured out that my mechanical fan clutch might be bad, so I welded it together and it's a WORLD of difference, I have to really push it to get it to 205. It was probably bad when I bought my MJ 2.5 years ago. now i need to decide if i'm gonna buy a new clutch or just leave it welded :laugh3:

Mine started running a little hot all the time, and it puzzled me. I tried T-Stats, rad flushes, a new water pump. Turned out to be my factory electric fan. It would spin, but the hole for the shaft was "wollered" out. The fan wouldn't spin as fast as the shaft, and not fast enough to keep it cool. I didn't notice it until it started making a really bad noise. With a new electric fan it's running coler than ever. Just something else to check.

HarveOut-

lankchevy said:
the winch is a magnum 9000

is there any way to accualy check the mechanical fan clutch?

kolby
I bought the same winch but won't be able to give it a real world test for a nother year because my liscense are suspended.So does it do pretty good?How did you mount the controll pack,since a mount is'nt included did you fab one like i'm going to do in the next few weeks?The way I always tested a fan clutch is bring the engine up to operating temp. then shut it off and spin the fan by hand,if there is no resistance then the clutch is probably toast.Later

im real happy with the winch so far, the local shop gave me a warn bracket to mount the control pack. its the bracket that mounts it to the side right over the motor.

kolby

Back