• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

up up up!!!

DaltonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
ok I have a '88 XJ I'm lookin to lift it I work at a junkyard I have unlimited resources.. I need to know what to look for as in what vehicles to get parts off of....

going major budget lift...

Front:

need coil spring info.. as in what type vehicle to get the coils off of and what size lift they might give me..

Rear:

need rear leaf packs what vehicle and what size lift it might provide..

any other info would help...

I'm putting BFG 31x10.50x15 on stock wheels....

already on XJ...

Do a search for s10 or dakota leaf springs and grand cherokee or F150 coil springs. Should get something pretty quick.

the gist of what you will find in those searches; for the rear keep your main leaf and mix and match leafs with more arch (s10, dakota, MJ, etc) until you get the desired lift height. also most Chevy shackles and all MJ shackles will give a little bit of lift in the rear. for the front, there are some Grand Cherokee (ZJ) coils that will give a little lift, you can also use the stock coil isolators off of XJs and stack them for 1/2" of lift each. F150 coils will give lift but will be way too stiff for an XJ.

The F-150 coils are not as bad as people think for stiffness. More than stock yes but not obscenely bad. I have them on mine and they feel fine to me. Gives you 2" just with the coils but they have to be 1978 302 2wd coils since 4wd ones are heavier or so I have heard.

I have used a set of CJ 4" lift springs (they were free to me) combined with the top spring of the cherokee and a short AAL. It gave exactly 4" of lift and rode really nice. I used the AAL because my brother planned to pull a trailer and didn't want it squating to bad. As for the width of the spring on the back of the CJ's they are 2.5" wide.
HTH DuG

ok I found the F150 coils do I flip them over to install them... I need to know all the info so I can be ready to do the install... I also got 2 pack of leafs from a Blazer with 7 leafs in it.... will that work for the rear lift?... I will find out more when I make the rear pack useing the main leaf from an '88XJ and the blazer leafs.. if it to much of a lift just remove some leafs right?

Last edited:
interesting D150's will work also.. never thought about dodge trucks.. I'll have to look into that... we just remove a set of leafs the otherday.... I wonder.... if they will work I'll keep you informed....

thanks for the info...

Well I got the F150 coils today.. now just need to see what color I want to pait them....

found the dodge leafs also look in good shape but there are 7 leafs on it don't think I will use them all....

also found some longer sway bar connect on a ford truck will let know more about this issue...

lift will be done before I can get it started again.. :)

Back