• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing Used gears, yes or no

Ted Z

NAXJA Forum User
I am planning on moving my 4:56 gears from my D30r to my new rig when i get it.....

Can I or Should I use my old gears or do i have to get new gears?

I have run several sets of used gears. Like REDXJ4FUN said, make sure you replace the bearings and have them set up by someone who knows what they are doing.

Tom Houston
Loveland, Colorado

My Dad always told me when you change the chain you should change the gears. This applied to bicycles as well as engines. Even though we can't see it the chain and gear wear to each other, if you install a new chair then the fit will not be as good as a new chain and gears. Remember you are trying to restore your timing so you get best performance, the worn gears may change the cam a degree or two and cause the engine to run less than optimal.

For the extra money I'd buy a gear set complete with the chain. I looked at sites like rockauto and it not that much more to buy the chain & gears vs just the chain.

I don't mind working on my XJ, I just hate doing the same job twice.

ummm chain?

IMHO I think you should be fine moving your gears... They are known to you and if you know that they were not abused :) and seemed to run fine, why not? One thing to wonder though would be... how old are they and how many miles?

Kejtar

I apologize, I had timing gears on the brain when I responded, disregard my answer since it does not apply to differential gears.

Ummmm...... just a thought.

Sell the axles with your 4.56 gears, and buy a new set. The gears themselves aren't that expensive.

Bet you come out ahead.

Hmmm, generally using 'used' gears is preferable to using new ones provided they were setup right the first time. Broken in gears generally bring a premium price over a set of brand new, unknown, unrun, don't know if they are going to shatter, new ones. Plus they have no break in :)

RichP said:
Hmmm, generally using 'used' gears is preferable to using new ones provided they were setup right the first time. Broken in gears generally bring a premium price over a set of brand new, unknown, unrun, don't know if they are going to shatter, new ones. Plus they have no break in :)

For real?

I bought my d30 and d44 gears from the front axles of pavement pounders.

they don't even look broken in yet.

carriers, spiders, ring and pinions for less than just ONE ring+pinion combo would have cost me!!

Back