• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 use a crush sleeve?

bretto

NAXJA Forum User
I am tired of searching. Does it use a crush sleeve or shims for pinion bearing preload? I found info all day long on the Dana 44 and the 44 uses shims. Also is my '92 Dana 30 a reverse rotation? Its a high pinion I know that and I thought I read somewhere that means the same thing as a reverse rotation. I recon that the the D44 is a standard rotation, it is stock from a '87 XJ. I am reading up on doing my my own gears and it isn't looking as intimidating as my previous thoughts about it in the past.

Thanks,
Brett

That is good...something less to worry about messing up (knock on wood)

Thanks,
Brett

I recently replaced my D30 differential. I made up a couple of dummy bearings
by grinding the ID of two new bearings. I hated wasting two good bearings but
its worth it. I was told that a brake cylinder hone will do the trick.
No way! the steel is too hard, it messed up the hone. A sanding drum can do it.

Is there no way to pull the original bearings off and open them up to use them as set-up bearings?

Brett

bretto said:
Is there no way to pull the original bearings off and open them up to use them as set-up bearings?

Brett
If you don,t damage them.And you still need to open them up for a slip fit.
Wayne

bretto said:

Brett
I wouldn't do that. I would not want to deal with wear issues of the old bearings. I used brand new bearings, got my shims and backlash figured out and after I had a new set of bearings pressed in, the backlash changed by .0015".
No big deal, still within specs, good tooth pattern etc. but made me wonder what if I had used the old bearings for the set up.

Back