• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ spare tire removal???

CT-heep

NAXJA Forum User
The MJ is new to me so forgive me if this is a noob question. I have a spare held up under the bed and can't figure out how the heck to get it down?
It seems to be held up with a cable type setup.

Help???

It's on a winch. Look above the license plate and you'll see a small, round hole. Take the handle of the factory jack, stick it in the hole, and crank down the winch.

He wishes, I would guess that if it hasn't been down in years its going to be rusted to hell and back under there.

Good luck.

While handy for space savings I think its a horrible place to put a spare, specially if you blow a tire in a muddy section of a trail.

Spanky414 said:
He wishes, I would guess that if it hasn't been down in years its going to be rusted to hell and back under there.

Good luck.

While handy for space savings I think its a horrible place to put a spare, specially if you blow a tire in a muddy section of a trail.
I bought an '87 MJ and from the look of the spare wheel it had never been taken down. The winch functioned perfectly. Ditto my '88.

I agree the location is a PITA but it is a common location for PU truck spares.

Alright, well I looked for the jack and the handle I found looks like an old school crank thingy :) One end is just the bar and the other is like a "T" The "T" mend won't fit and the other end seems to do nothing. Do I have the right jack handle? Anyone have a quick pic of one? Is a stock XJ jack the same?
Thanks for the help!

Stock XJ and MJ jack is a mechanical, screw-operated bottle jack. The handle is a 3/8" rod with a decent Z bend in one end for you to crank with, and a short (like 3/4") 90-degree bend in the working end. The handle is a folding 2-piece unit with a rivet at the hinge.

The same end that works in the jack also works the winch for the spare tire.

I made a crank tool from a piece of 3/8" or so round barstock and ground the end to look like a screwdriver and welded a T to the other end. Maybe a big flathead screwdriver might work? Been a while since I've had to mess with one and the last time I did, I had to cut the friggin' tire down.
Jeep on!
--Pete
ComancheClub.com

Back