• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Time for a tune up

JeepXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought my 00 about 2 or 3 months ago and i'm not happy w/ how it feels compared to my 93 so i figure its time for a tune up...i want to do front and rear diff fluid, tranny fluid, plugs and wires, and possibly t-case fluid. Few questions about what to use.
1. Is auto zone o.k to get my fluids from or should i go to jeep and spend stupid money for the mopar brand of everything?
2. I just had a SYE installed...does that change anything in the way of what fluid to use in my t-case?
3. when i did plugs in my 93...i put bosch plats in it and it ran like crap...then came to find out that stock champion plugs work much better...does this hold true for a 2000 as well? What kind of wires are best to use?
4. I have no clue what axle i have...i know i have the 8.25 rear and a dana 30 up front but how do i know if i have limited slip or any of that stuff that would change the 75-90 that i should be using. Does jeep print up build sheets for free?
Any info appreciated...did a search but couldnt find specifics to my questions...thanks.

I can answer a couple of those.
Its OK to go to auto zone in my opinion.
You may want to consider switching over to full synthetic oil as well.
I did on my 98 at 77,000 miles. have 82,000 miles on it now and no oil leaks or problems at all. Still have the original synthetic in it that was used 5000 miles ago. Used a Mobil 1 oil filter as well. Oil is still very clean.
Autolite Copper Core plugs are what I used. about a buck apiece. 4.0L's like em. I used Bosch plug wires hooked up to an OEM Mopar Cap and Rotor.
Zero problems. Good idle and solid start ups. Excellent performance.
I ran a tank of high octane Exxon and added a can of "sea foam" to clear out any carbon deposits. (may have to do that a couple times) depending on mileage.
Its an all stock 98 Sport. Only mods were a catback rustys flowmaster 50 series exhaust and tailpipe. And a Cold air intake.
Nice throttle response and great exhaust sound.
The thing runs incredible.

thanks guys...anyone else have any ideas about the rest of my questions>?

I put the MPP wires on my '98 Limted as well as a drop in K&N Filter, Bosche Platinums, and MP cap and rotor in September, and noticed a suprising bump in drivability. Dad even noticed from the passenger seat, nothing major, but still noticable. I do need to have the ATF and axle lubes replaced, as well as the exhaust (don't know whats holding it together, but it hasn't fallen apart yet?!). I normally run Mobile 1 10w30 in the truck for oil and what ever regular unleaded gas I can find for a decent price (with the exeption of Clark.)

As for the performance difference, my little sister has a 92 Briarwood that seems to have alot more power even though it's also got 100K more miles on it. That might be the way it was broken in, the emissions programing, as well as the extra weight that has been added to the platform in the interviening years.

Back