• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which H4 lenses should I get?

scoobyxj

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I reread all the old posts, didn't really come up with a positive answer. I'm thinking of running the IPF 100/170W. bulbs [have a upgraded harness with 10AWG wire and 40A. relays], but I'm not to shure on which lenses to try. Has any one tried the new MSR's from IPF yet? I'm trying to decide between the IPF's [MSR's or the regular H4's], or the Hella E-codes. I have looked at the Cebie's but I think they are to expencive for there name.

I just bought the Cibie's. From everything I have read and researched they are bar none the best. Made out of lead crystal instead of glass. Thats why the price diference
scoobyxj said:
I reread all the old posts, didn't really come up with a positive answer. I'm thinking of running the IPF 100/170W. bulbs [have a upgraded harness with 10AWG wire and 40A. relays], but I'm not to shure on which lenses to try. Has any one tried the new MSR's from IPF yet? I'm trying to decide between the IPF's [MSR's or the regular H4's], or the Hella E-codes. I have looked at the Cebie's but I think they are to expencive for there name.

DrMoab said:
I just bought the Cibie's. From everything I have read and researched they are bar none the best. Made out of lead crystal instead of glass. Thats why the price diference
I never found that. I am assuming that the lead crystal would be harder to break than glass. If so, then I may rethink my price evaluation of them.

Fighting on the internet is lame but I have a nephew who is forced through a birth defect to compete in the Special Olympics he really enjoys himself and it is an amazing thing to see. Maybe you ought to check it out some time before you make light of someone who gives all they have but it will never be good enough for everyone else because they were born different. Just a thought I have, I'm sort of defensive of the little guy as I'm sure you would be, or maybe you wouldnt. For what its worth.

I have the MSRs, they are not installed but they are definitely higher quality than the ebay crap. not sure if they are worth $90 though. from what i have read it is the cibie's superior light pattern that makes them better than the IPFs. really i should have researched better. what i need is a lens with the cutoff built in (like a projector) so i can use HIDs. they are illegal, but as long as they aren't blinding people i feel i should be able to use them.

I love my Hella E-codes, but others complain about how the light is cut. You gotta see them in action to know what I am talking about

gsmith said:
Fighting on the internet is lame but I have a nephew who is forced through a birth defect to compete in the Special Olympics he really enjoys himself and it is an amazing thing to see. Maybe you ought to check it out some time before you make light of someone who gives all they have but it will never be good enough for everyone else because they were born different. Just a thought I have, I'm sort of defensive of the little guy as I'm sure you would be, or maybe you wouldnt. For what its worth.

WTF are you talking about?

Relevance?

r@m

Root Moose said:
WTF are you talking about?

Relevance?

r@m

Scoobyxj's sig, and yea it is a bit offensive, guess you have to be involved SO at some point in time to become sensitive to it. Our family has worked a couple of SO events at ESU....

The CIBIE's are the best cut lenses out there, I have not seen any new ones so I cannot compare them to my old 7" rounds CIBIE's for quality. I avoided them when stern started carrying them as $200 a housing was a bit on the steep side, seems the prices have come down considerable so they are now an option for replacments and upgrading the kids TJ's... but they are still not getting my super oscars, those are reserved for when I get my unlimited :D

RichP said:
Scoobyxj's sig, and yea it is a bit offensive, guess you have to be involved SO at some point in time to become sensitive to it. Our family has worked a couple of SO events at ESU....
Ok, gotcha.

Although I'm not sure I would take much offense from someone who makes fun of those less privileged while not spelling his EASY target correctly.

r@m

I've run Hella E codes for 4 yrs as well as the IPF equiv for the past year (not the clear lens MSR) and both offer very similar performance at a similar price-point. For my money, a pair of either, teamed with an upgraded harness and a pair of 130/90 halogen bulbs is a great value and a solid safety improvement.

In two years -on my daughter's car, a low slung Celica GT- two Hella lenses got cracked from rocks (not catastrophic, just nice chips & cracks) and both the replacements exhibit marked 'sandblasting' tiny pits on the surface. The IPFs on my saggy-stock height XJ have only minor pitting from their year/20,000 miles on the same roads.

I'd have to "see" a pair of Cibie lenses in action to be converted, but from the accounts of those with em, they must be nice. I certainly wouldn't rule them out.

PapaPump said:
I have the MSRs, they are not installed but they are definitely higher quality than the ebay crap. not sure if they are worth $90 though.

Are the lenses really all that important if you have good bulbs and the lights are properly aimed? I was considering the "ebay crap" myself because they are so cheap. Anyone have any comments on them? Probably break easier but I was thinking of giving them a try if I ever get around to upgrading my wiring...

xjfish said:
Are the lenses really all that important if you have good bulbs and the lights are properly aimed? I was considering the "ebay crap" myself because they are so cheap. Anyone have any comments on them? Probably break easier but I was thinking of giving them a try if I ever get around to upgrading my wiring...

The lenses make ALL the difference in the world for quality light getting put on the right spot, any idiot can put high powered flood lights on a skate board and light up the nite. The crummiest lights in the world are 12V or 24V aircraft lights, nothing but huge floods, we'd mount them in a sauce pan and use them for spotting deer.

Well i was dumb and bought the ebay lights. While they do light up better than stock they wast toooonnnnnnns of light. I will be replacing them w/ some other lenses soon hopefully.

I bought the MSRs and the Fat Boys and upgraded the harness. Huge difference over stock, the low beams cut off pretty quick but they give a lot of clear light well aimed. The high beams though they do put out a lot of light its down range and there seems to be a dark spot where the low beams were. Like other people with HELLA’s they seem to light up the treetops.

Problem is I don’t have any thing to compare them to except my RAV4 and the only real difference there is that the low beams stay on when you hit the high beams.

A lot of money for something when you don’t know if it will work for you. Me? I’m pretty happy, they work well for the type of driving I do, just wonder if the cheaper bulbs would have as good.

REDDOGG.XJ

gsmith said:
gsmith I have nothing against menitally chalanged people. I seen thiss on another board I visit, and it brought a chuckle. Shortly before you joined there was a good bit of arguing, and whining going on here over a few issues, and I thought it would bring a laugh to those who witnissed it. That is the only reason it is in my sig. I try not to be offencive to others, so I will respectly remove it. Not because I am a pushover, but because it makes no differance to me whether it there or not.

IPFs!! and the "FatBoy" bubs. I love mine!

When you flip the brights the bottom filiment does not go off. So no dark blink before everything goes bright.

I have had the IPFs all winter and no rock marks. My old Hellas made about a week or so.

Best pic I got for now: http://luvmyjp.bigoffroad.com/images/98xj/trails/Moab10-2004/pritchet/pritchet4.jpg

PS: upgrade your harness. The $40 ebay cheap ones work just as well at the $100 ones. Do that or your wasting your money!!! IMHO

Well right know I have some Silverstars in there. One burnt out the other day, and I wanted to upgraid. I kind of liked the beam pattern on them, especially the low beam. They do however have a slight blueish tint to them, and thats what I didn't like. Blue is hard for the eye to see, and it makes for a lousy headlight color. I know the IPF's are good but I couldn't decide on which ones to get, could someone decribe the beam pattern for me.

JhonJhon the low beam filiment staying on like you discribed should be a trate of your harness, not the bulb itself. That may shorten your bulb life in the long run.

Back