• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sensor on firewall

MN-Cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
On my '97 Cherokee, 4.0, auto, 4x4 there is a little sensor looking thing mounted to the firewall. It is on the passenger side. It has a some wires with a plug hooked into the top and two vacuum lines coming out the side. My guess is it controls some kind of vacuum switch???

One of the lines runs behind the engine and into the intake manifold. I could not see were the other one went.

Anyways, the little sensor thing is ticking like mad. A real fast tick,tick,tick. You can here it with the engine running. When I touch it I can feel it ticking. I never really noticed it before and I'am trying to figure out if it is normal.

I just did the 99+ intake swap and I checked and then double checked to make sure everything was hooked up. Is it supposed to tick like that??

Brian

Very possible. Is the charcoal tank the big black tank mounted right below it on the passenger side??

Is it supposed to tick that fast???

Brian

I picked this tid-bit up on a post a while back. Sorry I can't remember who posted it, but it looked worth saving:

Mopar has a 2 piece rubber muffler for the purge solenoid you could try? PN #'s for the 2 pieces are:4612717 & 4612718. It runs about $20 for both of them. That solenoid is the same on most chrysler built vehicles.

Ivan

Jldiaz,
I beleive that is what I'am trying to describe.

Is it normal for the purge solenoid to tick really fast at idle??? The only reason it concerns me is because I never noticed it before. But lately it has been really loud and fast. If I touch it I can feel it clicking like mad.

Brian

OK, I'll give that a try.

Brian

I havent had a chance to get over to it yet. (In storage)

You said 100 times a minute is normal. I will have to check the next time I start it. Funny that I never noticed before.

Brian

Back