• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where can I buy an alternator rebuild kit?

ZmOz

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ still has the original alternator at 200k. I'm thinking about rebuilding it just for the hell of it...it can't possibly have much life left. Ford and Chevy alternator rebuild kits are a dime a dozen on ebay and various websites. Don't see a late model Chrysler rebuild kit for any price anywhere. Anybody know where I can find one?

FWIW,
When i was workin on my automotive science degree, we had an electrical portion where we talked about this same topic.
Instructor gave the class a choice of rebuilding one AFTER we considered the options (cost,time, and availability of parts)
It was a no brainer after all the facts were considered(especially warranty) that as a class we chose to NOT rebuild one,Though we did cover"theory".The time was better used diagnosing electrical "bugs"planted in the class project.
Now that i look back, i wish we would have actually done one just for the sake of knowing how to do it.

BTW, i too looked at buying a rebuild kit for my 89 and i didnt find a place that had all the components at a remotly reasonable price.

I've rebuilt a chevy alternator before, it's not hard. Just take it apart, replace all the old parts, and put it back together. An '89 still has a CS130 GM alternator, which has lots of rebuild kits available, not to mention tons of cheap replacement alternators.

:speepin::eek: Holy dead thread batman!!! 7 year dead thread revival must be the record or very close to it. By now I'm sure they've gone through 3 alts, and probably 2 xj's.

Back