• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What does a stock cherokee weigh

JeepTherapy

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I am planning on towing a 1985 Toyota 4x4 behind my Cherokee tomorrow and wanted to know how much a stock Cherokee weighs. I have towed my old Jeepster with the Cherokee before and seemed to do okay at speeds under 55-60mph.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Kevin

not sur eon the weight but i towed an XJ full of parts on a u-haul wheel dolly about 300 miles two years ago with no problems.. kept it under 60 and no O/D and it did pretty good..

Curb weight on an XJ is somewhere between 2900 and 3700lbs depending on the year and options.

dont know about the exact weight....but a bit of info, with a class III load-distributing hitch, the cherokee was rated to tow 5000#. that was with the heavy-duty cooling, 4.0, and a few other options. dont know if this helps or not.

dothedew24_7 said:
My stock wieght says "4,900 pounds"

waaaaait that can't be right! (what it says on the door)

I think your numbers might be off a little :laugh3: My ’91 with a 6” lift, 31” tires, full sized spare, built front and rear bumpers, tire carrier, a full tank of gas, all of my 4x4 gear and me sitting inside weighs 3,850 lbs according to the local scale. A stock one should be more like 3,000 to 3,200.

dothedew24_7 said:
My stock wieght says "4,900 pounds"

waaaaait that can't be right! (what it says on the door)

remember...the number on your door is GVW...IE, fully loaded, all passenger and gear, maximum weight you can carry in the jeep. so, say your jeep weiged 3,500 pounds, and the sticker on the door says 4,900. menas you can carry 1,400 pounds, passengers and cargo, full tank of gas, ect. usually it also lists front and rear GVW.

ZmOz said:
Curb weight on an XJ is somewhere between 2900 and 3700lbs depending on the year and options.
2900# for a 2wd (2,891 to 2,993 lbs depending on year and options), with 4wd curb weights ranging from 3,057 to 3,386 pounds.

How much it can tow depends mainly on the tranny though.

The curb weights quoted in the owner's manuals are dry weights. Add 180lb and you have the correct curb weight with a full tank of gas and NO driver.
My '92 XJ 4.0 Laredo 5-speed 4-door 4WD weighed in at 3568lb in stock form with a full tank of gas and WITHOUT me in it.

Lower trim levels will weigh less. The Limited will weigh 50lb more.
Subtract 140lb if it's 2WD
Subtract 50lb if it's a 2-door
Subtract 70lb if it has no skids
Subtract 120lb if it's a 2.5

No, 4900lb is the gross vehicle weight rating i.e. the maximum total weight of the vehicle including the payload and occupants that the axles can tolerate before something breaks.

Back