• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

spline counting

crazyoffroader

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to figure out my options for a homebuilt front axle using either a toy 8"(28? spline) or an Isuzu corporate 12 bolt(26 spline)
I can pick up the isuzu axle, complete, for $50 or I can snag a toy housing out of an '85 for $65
I know that the toyota axle has more locker options so I would prefer to go at it that way.
BrettM said that d44 shafts would fit in a yota 3rd member, but which years and makes?
Finaly, did/does the d60 front axle have 26 spline axle shafts?
Thanks in advance.

the Toyota 8" diff has 30 spline, 1.31" shafts. This is exactly the same as D44 shafts, the only difference being a slightly different angle used for the splines. This angle difference makes it so that D44 shafts will fit into a Toy 8" carrier, but Toy shafts will not fit in a D44 carrier. The difference in spline angles does not practically affect strength as people have broken many stock D44 axles this way but never stripped the splines. The Toyota "8.4" diff (not really 8.4") found in Tacomas, T-100s and Tundras, will also accept a D44 shaft. The 8" diffs will be in the rear of all 4x4 Toyota Pickups, all 4 runners (up till 2003? 2004?), and 2wd Pickups with the V6.

D60 front axles are typically 35 spline at the carrier and 30 spline stubs.

BrettM said:
the Toyota 8" diff has 30 spline, 1.31" shafts. This is exactly the same as D44 shafts, the only difference being a slightly different angle used for the splines. This angle difference makes it so that D44 shafts will fit into a Toy 8" carrier, but Toy shafts will not fit in a D44 carrier. The difference in spline angles does not practically affect strength as people have broken many stock D44 axles this way but never stripped the splines. The Toyota "8.4" diff (not really 8.4") found in Tacomas, T-100s and Tundras, will also accept a D44 shaft. The 8" diffs will be in the rear of all 4x4 Toyota Pickups, all 4 runners (up till 2003? 2004?), and 2wd Pickups with the V6.

D60 front axles are typically 35 spline at the carrier and 30 spline stubs.
Alright, my cheby d44 axles are 30 spline,so that will work, but what about the dodge 8.75 axle? I have one of these lying around and I was thinking that it might work quite well. Just a thought. :rolleyes:

Back