• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chevy 10-bolt

lobsterdmb

Just a Lobster Minion
NAXJA Member
I have access to a free Chevy 10-bolt rear axle out of a 1/2 ton van. It is 30 spline. I am not sure of its gear ratio and haven't measured its width yet. Is it worth it to consider building this up to run 33's or should I pass on it. I am not even sure what gear ratios or locker options are available for a 10-bot. I currently have a Chrysler 8.25 27 spline rear. TIA

John

Free ain't always good.
There are far better axles to use.
Toyota 8.?, Ford 8.8, Dana 44.
Even a set of 29 spline shafts and locker for your 8.25.
The 10 bolt is the Chevy 1/2 ton equivalent of a D35, IMHO.
YMMV.

lobsterdmb said:
I have access to a free Chevy 10-bolt rear axle out of a 1/2 ton van. It is 30 spline. I am not sure of its gear ratio and haven't measured its width yet. Is it worth it to consider building this up to run 33's or should I pass on it. I am not even sure what gear ratios or locker options are available for a 10-bot. I currently have a Chrysler 8.25 27 spline rear. TIA

John
Take it from a Chevrolet man.The 10 bolt chevy is a boat anchor.Ive seen lots of em go out on stock vehicles driven by women hauling the kids around,let alone with 33s and wheelin :lecture: That 8.25 aint that bad.

the 10 bolt is actually a pretty good axle if it's the later 30 spline version, but I still wouldn't recommend it for an XJ.

pros
-D44 size shafts
-stronger than D44 gears
-pretty good clearance
-cheap and plentiful
-often 3.73 or 4.10

cons
-6 lug
-fullwidth
-c-clip axles

My buddy has a K5 Blazer (heavy) with a FI 350, and had 33s on 10 bolts front and rear. He beat the CRAP outta that thing for years with no problems from the axles, jumping, desert romping, mud, rocks, you name it.

However, for an XJ you have to invest a bunch of money in a front axle to match (full-width, 6 lug, etc) so you might as well go with a more desireable rear at the same time.

Back