• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end protection

Bowtied

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 Sport. It has a lot of stone chips on the front end and is looking pretty rough. I don't want to take it to a paint shop and dump a lot of money to have the front end re-shot and I don't really want to cover it up with a bra either. Here's my thought...What if I were to tape off the front end and shoot it with the spray on truck bed liner? I would tape it off so that it would "look" exactly like a bra since it would be black and I would be painting the grill and just about an inch of the fwd area of the hood. Then, bring the taped off area down the sides of the fenders towards the front tires, just aft of the front side marker lights. Of course I would also hit the middle painted area of the front bumper also. So, any ideas??? I think it might look tuff but it's one of those things that is really hard to un-do if you don't like it.
Thanks,
Bowtied

Bowtied; for what it's worth, I sanded down the nerf bars on my Chevy truck, when they started to rust, and sprayed them with that stuff in a can (Dupli-color I believe it was). Worked very nicely and apparently is tougher than the powder coat it came with. Looks GOOD. Why Not? Just don't plan on fixing it back!

I haven't really looked at what's available...but what about a bugshield to hide some of the chips? Just a thought....and probably easier/cheaper than doing any decent paintwork.
Aron

If your gonna use Duplicolor bedliner..........USE PRIMER FIRST, I repeat USE PRIMER FIRST. If you just paint over it will chip and flake off in no time.

Contoured bug shield for the header, one of the aftermarket companies makes a screen, like you see on shorties, to cover the grill. Rosser jeep had them a few years ago, I considered it but never got around to it...I think it was like $60

JEONLYEP said:
I didn't use primer, but one door I didn't sand as well as the others, and it did flake. But after sanding it good, it's stayed.

Daryl

Well you gotta at least sand then. I used it right over paint once as added protection and it all flaked off after 2 weeks.

then you go on a tight trail and end up with all sorts of nice custom pin striping

Back