• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sputters + stalls @ 1/4 tank on left turns

winterparker2b

NAXJA Forum User
This started about a month ago. It started sputtering and falling on its face at 1/8th of a tank or less, but only on hard left turns or hard aceleration (sp?). Now its doing it at 1/4th a tank and less and now it is even dieing during left turns. It completely died 3 or 4 times on me today. What is going on, is my gage off and my tank really empty or is it fuel sloshing and why is it getting worse? Thanks for any info!

i'd check your fuel pump

mine was doing that also and after checking senders i decided to chang my fuel pump so i went and bought one and when i pulled th old one out all it was was the hose clamp on the pickup line was broke and the line came off, put the new one in anyway and kept the old for a spare

not sure if it matters i was told they are all the same from 91 up but i could be wrong, i would still check the fuel pump

Had the same symptoms in my '97; a few months later my CPS crapped out in the middle of traffic. Not saying there's a connection (I thought my pump died also) but something to watch out for. No cut out w/ low fuel post-fix.

Are there any dents in your tank? If there are you might have bent the pickup

something else came to mind: every know and then when I start the truck the fuel gage reads bone dry (well below e) and the fuel light is on. It will stay that way until I turn it off and restart it. Dont know if this has anything to do with my problem but thought I would mention it.

97 and up they used really poor quality fuel pump and sender units. They had a recall on the 97's but I guess they snuck out of doing it on 98 and newer ones somehow. Keep an eye on your A/C too, the evaporator on the 97+ that is in the heater box is also poor quality and they leak. Thats a $600 repair by the way, 8 hours of labor to pull the dashboard and replace it...

Back