• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

switching to 4x4 in 2wd comanche questions

tcf26

NAXJA Forum User
switching to 4x4 in 2wd comanche questions
Okay guys just wondering what kind of issues I am looking at putting an 89 Aw4 and Np242 in a 91 comanche 4.0 2wd. Anything I should keep an eye out for or do the two trannies swap directly out? Will the 91 TCM and wiring all match up with the 89 Aw4? Also the flywheel is it different? I know the Crankshaft position sensors are different. I have the flywheel from the 89 but will it work with the newer CPS or am I okay with using the flyweel (flexplate sorry!) from the 91?

Oh and it is a shortbox so does that mean I can or cannot use the rear drivesaft from an XJ?

I have searched and a few questions I was thinking were answered but I just need to know what I asked here.

Can't answer the tranny questions (my converted MJ is stick), but I know the rear driveshaft won't work...too short. Front shaft will swap tho, as long as the drivelines are the same (4.0, AW4).
Have fun!
Jeff

Yep drivelines are the same. Just a 2wd aw4. What are the options for the rear shaft? What have you guys done? Shortened stock or some other junkyard option?

I had my rear shaft shortened at a local shop, but mine was *not* a stock-to-stock 2wd-4wd swap so I had no choice (except brand new, which I can't afford). Since you're sticking with all Jeep parts, the junkyard should be able to provide one. Try car-part.com FYI, there's about 12" of difference beween the XJ wheelbase and the shortbed MJ.
Jeep on!
--Pete
ComancheClub.com

Back