• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can I use TJ gears in my XJ?

nosajwp

NAXJA Forum User
I have a chance to get a set of OEM 4.10's with carrier out of a 2001 TJ D30 for a killer price. Can I use these gears and carrier in my 2001 XJ without problem?

Also, do you think it is wise to use used gears in good shape (20K miles), or should I just save my money and buy all new parts?

Yes you can use them as the '01's D-30 is identical to the TJ's. No I would not use used gears. Once they are set I wouldn;t trust trying take them out/apart and resetting them in a different housing...you may never get them right.

Don't use the used gears, but check with Rawbrown to see if they are 100% compatible if you do decide to go with it. I seem to recall that there was a difference in the length of the pinion even though they were both low-pinion axles.

The gears will fit,my 2000 also uses the TJ (short/low)pinion!

my 92 has a HP front axle...

For reference of others...
TJ = all low pinion front end
YJ = HP front d30 (IIRC)

Im not sure of the year break in HP VS LP, but the TJ started in 96' so i think it would be somewhere around there...

-Ranger

my buddy has 4.56's that were slightly used, and they worked out just fine. Are new gears better? of course, will good used gears work? yes, if they are installed right, just go to any local preformance shop and they should have no problem installing hem for you.

Back