• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering box clicks

boise49ers

NAXJA Forum User
I just raised my Jeep another 1.75"s and now I have a clicking coming from the steering box. I'm sitting a little over 5"s. Does any one know what causes this after lifting it and how can I get rid of it. Thanks !

Is it the steering box, or the TRE at the draglink? Sure it's not the trackbar mount or end? Describe the click......or better yet, share a wav file :wave:

It is at a funny angle. Maybe it is the link. I don't have a way to record it short of driving my XJ through my bedroom wall. My daughter has my video camera or I could do it that way. Should I just re-adjust that link ? I"ll take a photo of it.

Here is shot of the front end. The click is coming from the where the pitman bolts to the box. I could feel it right through there real strong when it clicked.
I grabbed the end of the shaft and nut and could really feel it. The click is like an little axle pop. If you turn the wheel just a half inch either way it does it.
Thanks

Front end pic

boise49ers said:
Here is shot of the front end. The click is coming from the where the pitman bolts to the box. I could feel it right through there real strong when it clicked.
I grabbed the end of the shaft and nut and could really feel it. The click is like an little axle pop. If you turn the wheel just a half inch either way it does it.
Thanks

Front end pic

OK I'm kinda leaning towards TRE's. They are kind of in a binding postion. I'll adjust them as good as I can and see what that does. The sound bounces around, depending on where your ear hole is. I'm still open for suggestions though.

boise49ers said:
I just raised my Jeep another 1.75"s and now I have a clicking coming from the steering box. I'm sitting a little over 5"s. Does any one know what causes this after lifting it and how can I get rid of it. Thanks !

Just about anything over 4.5" is where you start pushing the limits with the OEM steering links. You can get by with them, just be sure to check them regularly and carry spares.

If your looking for an all out soulution, then I would say the Currie links would be the simplest. You could do more, but new knuckles and new trackbar you start to add $$$.

Back