• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noticable Vibration with MORe motor mounts

LouisianaZJ

NAXJA Member #1362
yesterday i replaced my motormounts with the MORE rubber ones
pics of old/new: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42472

now whenever i accelertate or rev the engine (even in neutral, so i dont think it is the driveline) i feel a noticable vibration from the engine. enough to vibrate my keys loudly and i can feel it strongly in the steering wheel

the rear trans mount is about 1 month old. it is a std rubber mount

is this normal? or did i mess something up. the new ones were a pita to get the thru bolt into on the drivers side, dont know if that might have something to do with it

More mounts are known to be quite stiff, especially for the first couple of months. I have them in my stroker and they definately up the noise level, but they are bombproof.

1 week later the vibes have died down to almost normal levels. just a small vibe when accelerating. the first few days it felt like i was driving a tank and the entire dash/steering wheel vibed like crazy. its all good now

I am glad you posted this. I put the same motor mounts, and a new tranny maount. I noticed alot of vibes too. Glad to hear i am not the only one.

I've also read they're "bomb proof" but what in the hell is that supposed to mean anyway? Why do we need bomb prrof engine mounts?

Best motor lifts are the block style that mount under your factory mounts,
sorry......dont recall the name or link, I ran M.O.R.E.'s for 3 days and tossed
them, wound up making my own under the stock mounts............

Running a stroker on tough trails will kill stock motor mounts extremely fast, especially with a manual tranny. The bombproof mounts have lasted for a year and a half, and outlasted the body.

My DD88 got a set of the Bombproof rubbers last summer, along with an OEM-type rubber trans mt, and they are still vibing much more than the bombed out stockers... (vibed the ECU out from under the dash)

I agree with Tom in that they are beefy (and servicible with a rear leaf bushing if need be.) The OEM style mounts are consumable, especially when the Jeep is wheeled or driven hard... but they are cheap enough to replace them as required. :dunno:

woody said:
My The OEM style mounts are consumable, especially when the Jeep is wheeled or driven hard... but they are cheap enough to replace them as required. :dunno:

I'm not against the cost of replacing the OEM mounts. They are cheap.

I'm just against replacing the radiator...It wasn't cheap.

I began running M.O.R.E. mounts back when all they had was poly ones. Put in the first set along with a new radiator after a factory mount let loose at a bad time and introduced the fan to the core.

The rubber mounts can be harsh in the vibe dept. but not anywhere near the shake of the polys :shiver:

All that said I wouldn't run anything but the bombproof type mounts. The vibes aren't that bad when you get used to'em

Bones :skull1:

Use a torque strap. Run a short cable from the engine to the frame. In a manner that when the engine is under stress. The cable will pull tight and relieve the strain on the motor mounts. This torque load being one of the biggest reason for mount failure. Leave a little slack in the cable and let the engine rock a little under normal load and idle. Cheaper then HD mounts with no side effects.

I am running the M.O.R.E. motor and tanny mounts. My whole jeep vibrates like crazy at idle but is really nice and smooth when my RPMs get slightly above idle speed. I have also beat the living daylights out of my jeep. I like to pre-run in ocotillo and they are still holding up extremely well. I destroyed brand new OEM motor and tranny mounts in one trip to ocotillo, so I upgraded to the MORE mounts and have had no problems. I really like them.

I love my more motor mounts. it took about a week for the vibes to calm down. I thought it was a cool feeling! after I installed the motor mounts I thought it was a good idea to replace the tranny mount. got a chrysler one and installed it. it was worse than the original one. it was sloppy, had way too much wiggle to it and let the drivetrain sit at least 1/4" lower. now my exhaust bangs on the crossmember all the time. dealer said thats just the way they are. I now have a more poly tranny mount sitting on my bench waiting to go in. the guy I got it from ran it for a week and took it out because his jeep was rattling apart. am I in for a nasty shock? does it really transfer that much noise and vibration? or does it calm dowm like the motor mounts?

i have had mine in for about 3 months now and it still vibrates pretty bad. much more than the motor mounts. only at idle though.

wascobi said:
... I now have a more poly tranny mount sitting on my bench waiting to go in. the guy I got it from ran it for a week and took it out because his jeep was rattling apart. am I in for a nasty shock? does it really transfer that much noise and vibration? or does it calm down like the motor mounts?
I have the MORE motor mounts sitting on the workbench, but I have already installed the tranny mount I got from them. I was a bit disappointed at first when I found out the tranny mount was poly, and it did vibrate all over the place at idle. But once underway, the vibes were gone and the tranny shifted nice and smooth. it has been in for about 2 months now, and vibes at idle have died down a lot. It still shakes a little, but now when I go from my wife's '04 Sienna to the Jeep, it's not a night and day difference... more like a night to mid-afternoon difference :laugh3:

clayman said:
i have had mine in for about 3 months now and it still vibrates pretty bad. much more than the motor mounts. only at idle though.

Dude and others with bad vibes chill out and peace bro. someone HAD TO SAY IT.
Really now, Your engine maybe just idling bad and the stiff mounts are showing it up. A good running I6 is not bad as fare as vibes go but (IMO) it's not as smooth as a V8.

old_man, do you run a stroker? i am interested in finding out if how smooth they run with the poly mounts. i assume if one was to build a stroker they would have the rotating assembly balanced, which should help a lot.

Back