• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Exhaust pipe

falcon556

NAXJA Forum User
I recently replaced the exhaust/intake gasket on my 96 XJ.
When I removed the exhaust manifold, I noticed that the pipe below it
had three dents just below the flare. Looking from the top, it is easy to tell
that the gas flow is restricted by the dents.
I was planning to do something about it, when I noticed that my 99 XJ
has one large dent in the same location.
Is this done on purpose to regulate gas backpressure?
Both have the 4.0 engine.

falcon556 said:
The dents are right next to the flare for the donut exhaust seal.
Way above the front drive shaft.
yes but when the front left side flexes up.. it will interfere. Mine has dents from the yoke because it didn't have the factory 'dent' in it.

It has a huge effect on performance.
Not really, if anything its slight, but i'm not going to argue here about it.

Digger87xj said:
yes but when the front left side flexes up.. it will interfere. Mine has dents from the yoke because it didn't have the factory 'dent' in it.

Not really, if anything its slight, but i'm not going to argue here about it.

Why don't you go out and whack the pipe between your muffler and cat with a hammer and tell me how "slight" of a difference it makes? Sure, the engine was designed to make only 190 HP with the bad down pipe, but it sure as hell isn't a "slight" difference without it.

Digger87xj said:
I just went to the garage and looked at the pipe. I'll try to describe it a little better.
The dents are equally spaced around the pipe, immediately below the flare that
mates whith the donut seal. At first I thought that the tool that flares the pipe messed it up. Two of the dents are towards the engine, cannot be for clearance purposes.
I was told that this is by design, to control backpressure. If that's the case, it stays, otherwise I need to replace the pipe.
Thanks.

Back