• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 steering pump, hoses & box on 89 MJ?

Gjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Did a search and I know the steering box itself is a direct bolton for the 87-90 XJ/MJ's, but I was wondering if the steering pump is as well.

Since I am upgrading the box to a 2000 XJ unit, I was thinking I'd upgrade the hoses and pump from the same 2000 XJ model. Would all of this be a direct bolt on?

Please let me know. Thanks!

Information posted some time ago:

Replaced the pump this summer on my 96.The year makes a difference because the mounting bolts on early models do NOT bolt thru the pump in the same way. I will try to explain the diff --On my 96 it has three long bolts that thread into the intake. None of the holes on the pump were threaded. On one of the three pumps I tried the back parts of two holes were threaded and the center hole was threaded but did NOT align front to back on just the center hole. On another pump the mounting holes were correct but the shaft was undersized-not good when you need a press fit.
The third from CarQuest was correct, mounts and shaft were good but the reservoir needed to be swapped not really a problem considering. Check the mounts between the two pumps before removing your old one, 96 was a strange year for parts.

Wayne and Eagle are correct about the pumps. The mounting style changes in 96. It is the same pump mounting style from 87 to 95. 96 to 99 have the updated tensioner and pump style that mounts directly to the intake manifold. The 00 and 01 tensioner is different, but the pump mounts similarly and should be the same. The TJ's and ZJ/WJ 4.0 all have the same pump and mounting as the XJ, depending on year of course.

My apologies for not having saved the author ID - they deserve the credit.

Back