• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep sputters intermitently when wheeling

witt

NAXJA Forum User
um....
whenever i go wheeling... the 4.0 will sputter every once in a while...
its not consistent....
if i gas it... it will rev up and run correctly...
only at idle will it sputter...
only when wheeling will it sputter angle does NOT matter...
what could be the cause of this?

O.. its a 98.. 4.0L auto tranny 105k on motor/tranny....

Thanks
Eric

Hi Eric,

With the mileage on yours I would first look at some of the obvious things such as a tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter). If you haven't replaced the O2 sensors yet it might be getting close to the time to do that. I had a similar problem with my 98 and it was simply time to replace those. It's reasonable to asume that if the OX sensors were bad that the check engine light would come on - but you never know. You could also have a bit of carbon build up in the system. might not be a bad idea to clean the throttle body.

Anyhow, don't know how much that will help - just a few things to check into.

Happy Jeepin,

Marty

Second that, might be time to clean the parts up, couple of bottles of Chevron Techron in the tank, throttle body cleaning, complete tune up. I do mine yearly with new plugs, wires, cap and rotor, quick trip to the local dodge dealer and order the parts, pick em up a day or two later for the weekend.
The TPS could also do this and if it gets worse look to replace it... Two damn hard torx screws set in there with green locktite, PIA.... When I put the new ones in I removed half the lock tite they put on the replacement screws for future ease of removal and not having to sacrifice so many torx bits...

the spark plugs and cap and rotor are new.... less than 4-5 months.... i dont see why those would be going out...
ill try the fuel system cleaner...
the air filter is good and clean...

Back