• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question for Anyone who has run the Skyjacker tracbar

mississippi_xj

NAXJA Forum User
I installed it a couple of days ago.... the piece looks really nice and beefy.....

I am running right @ 3 -3.25 inches of lift and seem to be getting some squrily steering/bump steer. I think it could just be my alignment though....

anyone have any experience with these? if so let me know something... I am a little conserned.

If it is alignment I am going to have that fixed sometime this week when I get my 33's and new wheels mounted.

thanks guys

scotty

I'm running it with 4" of lift, I started off with a drop bracket and stock track bar and had a little bump steer mainly on bridges and overpasses but drove great, decent with disconnected sway bar. After installing the SJ track bar the bump steer is gone but it drives like a goat wagon. It now has what I'd call "sway steer", for instance if you turn left the body will naturally have a little lean to the right ,this causes it to over steer,then when you correct it over steers the other way, now driving disconnected is not an option. I'm going to put my stock bar back on and redrill the lower mount for now, I've done that with another XJ and worked great with a small lift. Maybe SJ track bars work better with lager lifts .

I haven't used a SJ track bar, but because it changes the mounting point and the angle of the track bar, it is no longer parallel with the drag link, and that might be causing the problem. Try a drop pitman arm to make the drag link parallel with the new track bar.

Nope, because it will change the angle of the drag link and the track bar at the same time since they both have one end attached to the body and the other end to the axle. Draw imaginary lines between the mounting points for each bar and compare them, then do what it takes to make them parallel.

First add spacer, then re-adjust track bar, then finally - align front end. (If you are going to boost the front a bit, do it before the alignment and before addressing the track bar so you don't need to do it twice.)

You cannot troubleshoot any bumpsteer issues until the alignment is done, or at least alot closer than it is now. Poor alignment is probably the majority of your problem.

Mine did the same thing,after a search here I found the this bar is intended for use with their RockReady system and not a regular lift.
I pulled mine off and got an adjustable bar,I have Rusty,s,There are othes available.
Wayne
Wanna buy another one(skyjacker)still in box only used slightly !!

tweeked around with the alignment a little.... seems a good bit better....

i think i will do the zj pitman arm.... should make the two bars perfectly parallel then...

scotty

ps. i will let you guys know how this turnes out.

well... havn't been able to get away from freaking work to grab a zj pitman arm the past few days....

my question is. If I get the tracbar and draglink perfectly parallel, will that eliminate any possiblity for bump steer?

I have been looking under the truck and the zj pitman arm will make things perfectly parallel...

also there is a little "sway steer" like hackedxj mentioned... could this be angle related like the bump steer.... I havn't had bump steer before so I am unsure about exactly what the characteristics are...

thanks guys..

ps. the tracbar is the skyjacker tba10

update..... lost the job, and got a new one.... so $$ has been tight.... haven't done crap.

I *did* get the jeep properly aligned and it is much better.... still got bump steer though...

I was looking under my junk today and noticed that the axle side mount for the tb is about 3 inches higher... actually thinking of doing a dropped pitman arm, 3 inch? should bring things just about parallel....

anyway just an update.

scotty

with stock steering and stock pitman arm, the SJ trackbar will cause bumpsteer. I honestly don't know why you'd run that trackbar with the stock setup in the first place (assuming you'd known about the bumpsteer issue). Like you said, it raises the axle mount up by 3-4", putting the draglink and trackbar out of parallel.

That trackbar is designed to be used with their RockReady 6" and 8" lifts, which include their gold "cow tongue" drop pitman arm. It's colored gold because for the price they charge for it, it SHOULD be made of gold, haha! Anyway, I want to say it's about a 4" drop arm? Maybe only 3". Anyway, last I heard it sold for about $179'ish.

yeah.... I didn't really know about the issue when I ordered it... The site said "for 2-4 inches of lift". needless to say, that wasn't accurate. :rattle: I thought it was just a good deal on a trackbar. :mad:

anyway it uses a rod end frame side and I was just outside looking under the truck. looks like I should just be able to tuck the mount up inside the frameside bracket, instead of on the bottom.... just a thought.

anyway I like the trackbar, it seems to be a good, beefy, unit. just not quite the correct one for my application. ohwell.... I will try to keep everyone updated on this.

scotty

i have the 6 inch rockready i will go measure it today and get back to u by tonight on the drop pitment arm. i think its about 4 inches but its been a year and a half since i put it on

Back