• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tps and c1o1 connection

nakedtech

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I have an 88 xj, 4.o manual. I've used the search engine and cannot find the thread for the tps adjustment for a manual tranny, does anyone have the link and/or the directions?
Regarding the c101 connection, has anyone done away with it and just wire nutted the wires together? If so, is it wire color to color? It appears that way but I sure would hate to clip everything and be regretting it later.
Thank's in advance for any input.

The link I had for the TPS procedure is dead, but I took notes long ago. Here is the procedure for the 4.0 in a nutshell:

Insert probes into the back side of the connector (i.e. do not unplug the connector for tests). The test is done with throttle closed.

Connect positive lead of voltmeter to terminal A of the connector, and negative to terminal B. Note the voltage, which should be somewhere in the vicinity of 5 volts. It's OK if it's somewhat less, but you must note what it is.

REmove the probe from terminal A and move it to Terminal C. The voltage here should be 16 percent of the input voltage you noted above. Loosen the screws on the TPS to turn it for adjustment.

AS far as the C101 connector, there was a kit to bypass the CPS directly to the computer. I would strongly recommend NOT wire-nutting, because in my experience, wire-nuts do not do well in an automotive atmosphere, especially with the rather thin multi-strand wire you'll find here. If you're going to do the job, it's worth the trouble of soldering. Maybe even worth the cost of enough heat-shrink tubing to insulate each wire. I haven't had my hands on a C-101 for a while, but I believe the terminals can be removed from the plugs, and perhaps it would be neater to pull wire pairs out this way, one at a time, than to snip them all at once. That way you could keep definitive track of them. You can usually reach a sharp object into the back of the plug to unbend the little tab that holds the terminal in.

As Matthew says, there is a stand-alone harness to upgrade the CPS wiring and by-pass the C101. In typical Mopar fashion, if you buy the kit with a CPS and the new harness, it costs less than a replacement CPS alone.

However, the factory TSB procedure to completely eliminate the C101 does call for soldering all wires, and it is labor intensive. I had it done by a dealer on my '88 XJ and it cost me $500. For what it's worth, I also have an '88 MJ that still has the C101, and there is no appreciable difference in how they run. I'd recommend getting the CPS harness and leaving the C101 alone.

Back