• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle shim question??

woodkrawler

NAXJA Forum User
Im having some high speed vibes in my 99 XJ at 65+MPH and i think its coming from my rear pinion angle. Ever since i added the SYE i picked up these high speed vibes. My DS angle and pinion angle is off by approx 5* so i think its time for a shim. My question is should i go with a 2* or 4* shim? aren't you supposed to have a 2* difference to allow for spring wrap?? so 2* shim may not be enough and a 4* may be too much??? which route would you guys recommend???

thanks
lincoln

How much lift?

Are you using a cv joint shaft? If so, the pinion should be almost pointed at the t-case. Leave the pinion a couple of degrees down to allow for wrap. If not, what angle are the joints at now? Most joints start have problems at more than 7 deg or so even if the angles are the same.

i'm running approx. 3.5" of lift with an RE SYE and CV Driveshaft. Currently my pinion is at approx. 11* and my DS is at 16* = the 5* difference. My question is that is it better to go with the 4* shim or the 2* shim???

lincoln

I'd try the 4° shim first which would put you 1° down. The amount you compensate for axle wrap will vary depending on how you achieved your lift. New leafs or added leafs would probably have less of a problem than stock or light duty leaves with lift blocks or extended shackles. If you have geared lower to compensate for larger tires, that would tend to increase the probability or extent of axle wrap too.

I would try the 2 first because youll probably lose about a degree on driveshaft angle as the pinion rotates up!

I agree with Max. 1-2 deg down should get rid of your vibes.

As for my suspension set-up im running Full OME leaf packs with a JCXL all to net approx. 3.5" of lift with an SYE and 4.10s in the axles. So you guys are saying try the 2*? i found a 3* from Rusty, you guys think thats too much??

thanks for the help
Lincoln

Back