• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory load leveling system?

PA Highlander

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up an '86 XJ Wagoneer for the axles and in the parting out process discovered an unusual setup. It appears to be a factory load leveling system ... both rear shocks are air shocks and they are plumbed to the engine bay along with a wiring harness that feeds a pendlum looking device that connects between the XJ's floor and the axle. I didn't think to take a photo before I removed it, but I've attached a photo of all the parts except the air pump which I need to locate in the engine bay. The harness and airline suffered some heat damage, but could easily be functional again. Any interest in this setup? Anyone seen one before? Looks like this XJ was set to tow ... 10" drums on the D35 and 4.10 gears in the axles too with a 2.8 V-6.

load_level_system.jpg

Never saw one, but I've heard of them. That was back when AMC owned Jeep, and they put some cool stuff in some of the early XJs.

The 10" drums were standard, though. AFAIK they were all 10x1.75 on the Dana 35 axles and 10x2.5 on the Dana 44s, but I've been told some came with the 2.5" drums on Dana 35 axles -- which do you have?

Chrysler changed to the 9" drums in either 90 or 91.

Yep that is it! Read about it in the FSM but never seen one! So they actually did have them on some xj's! Hmmm!

Eagle,

Drums are 10x1.75. I'm hoping that they will be an improvement over the 9" drums on my current axle.

Ghost,

I didn't even know that a load leveling system was an option so it was quite a surprise to find that setup under this Jeep. If anyone wants the parts for an XJ museum I saved the parts.

PA Highlander said:
I picked up an '86 XJ Wagoneer for the axles and in the parting out process discovered an unusual setup. It appears to be a factory load leveling system ... both rear shocks are air shocks and they are plumbed to the engine bay along with a wiring harness that feeds a pendlum looking device that connects between the XJ's floor and the axle. I didn't think to take a photo before I removed it, but I've attached a photo of all the parts except the air pump which I need to locate in the engine bay. The harness and airline suffered some heat damage, but could easily be functional again. Any interest in this setup? Anyone seen one before? Looks like this XJ was set to tow ... 10" drums on the D35 and 4.10 gears in the axles too with a 2.8 V-6.

My 1984 Cherokee Chief had all this garbage under it, when I got it last summer. However, the shocks were not the same as in the picture and since I didn't care for the levelling effect, I discarded all of these parts, together with the compressor, which was installed on the firewall, right next to the passenger fender area, close to the 4X4 light valve.

Back