• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

more wiring/starting issues

dangerranger

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 90 xj limited. once in a while when i go to start it it acts like the battery is almost dead, it will barely turn over or just click the solenoid. normally it turns over and starts fine. the battery is about 2 years old. when it is acting up i can throw jumpers or a charger on it and it starts right up after a minute, or sometimes right away. could this be ralated to a bad ground, a bad solenoid, or a bad keyswitch. there is a lot of play in the ignition key.

Be sure to check your starter solenoid- is it the original starter? My 1990 XJ did the same thing, then the starter quit working altogether- you might also consider upgrading the battery cables, as the stock ones are total crap.....the last thing you would want to check is your ground strap from the engine to the body, and add another one (an upgrade I haven't done yet, but is on my (endless) list to do). Just my two cent$ worth.....

Bret S Gray
1990 XJ Laredo
3.5 RE lift/front trackbar/rear shackles
3.55 Dana 44
Jeepers & Creepers battery cables

thanks for the tips, my buddy has a load tester, i didnt even think about that. it is the originl starter, as far as i know. where is the starter sol located?

to check your solenoid connect a jumper lead from the batt. (+ side) to the ign. terminal (small one) on the sol. if it works your solenoid is ok and your switch maybe bad or the netural switch or wiring ,,,,,,the solinoid is part of your starter the part all the wires hook up to Good Luck

Back