• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mystery Wiring ??

AngryDog

NAXJA Forum User
I purchased a used 89 Cherokee this past month and have started my winter project. My first mod was to put a more heavy duty front bumper on it. Upon taking off the OEM I found a bundle of 5 wires that had been cutoff on each side. So i assumed it had been fog lights but after thinking about it I came to the conclusion it wouldn't require 5 wire on each side so I started looking. Uder the dash there is a toggle switch which I assumed was for fog lights. So I got out my trusty voltmeter and did some checking. When the toggle switch is on the headlights go off and there are hot wires in the bundle. With the toggle switch off the headlights come on and there are no hot wires in the bundle. Does anybody have any idea what these budle would have run? I was thinking maybe headlights on a plow frame?? Any help would be much appreciated. I do want to install fog lights after I finish the bumper. Would I need to run new wires? I can't see running fogs with the headlights going off or am I wrong here?

How many hot wires do you get when you flip the switch and what are they reading? Maybe the extra wires are for parking lights. Can you tell if they are also tied into the turn signals? You can also check the front frame for evidence of a plow mount.

sounds like a plow mount to me also...You would have parking lights,turn signals and headlights high and low beam. With a ground that gives you five wires a side don't it?

DrMoab said:
sounds like a plow mount to me also...You would have parking lights,turn signals and headlights high and low beam. With a ground that gives you five wires a side don't it?
Yeah -- second the plow lights.

The stock fog light switch does NOT kill the headlights when turned on. A plow light rig would toggle back and forth between headlights and fog lights.

Back