• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sye leaking

whosyourdaddy?

NAXJA Forum User
installed the sye finally. i got the oil pump in correctly and everything bolted up nice and smooth. for some reason the t/c is leaking fluid out of the tailhousing pinion seal. im pretty upset about this. t/c is not leaking at the case halves or anywhere else. any suggestions. i torqued the yoke to 140 foot pounds, the black rubber toothed seal was installed correctly on the shaft, and the rear seal was obviously brand new. what a bummer.

Did you put silicone sealer on the splines on the yoke? If not the fluid will run down the splines and out the back next to the uj's. I had the same think happen to me last fall.

definetly didnt do that. i thouht thats what the rear seal was for? should i put on a new seal while im there? the damn thing is brand new! if i go back out to the garage my wife is gonna kill me.

I didn't replace the seal. Jus be careful pulling the yoke. It took me about 15 mins to do mine. They should put a notice on the instructions in red about sealing the yoke splines. If it only takes a few mins to do the wife shouldn't be to upset. Take her out to dinner, If you have the energy after crawling around under your XJ all weekend.

mine seems to be leaking around the outer edge. where the metal of the seal is contacting the housing.

when I got my advaced adapter sye the seal was allready installed. It wasnt till I got the unit on that I realized the seal was In backwards. I was really steamed. Called tom woods where I got the conversion. and he says they come to him with the seal allready pressed into the housing. He didnt notice it either. He sent me a new seal. But still a pain in the ars.

thats crazy! almost positive its in there right. ive read a couple places about using rtv around the outside of the seal and also the splines. If im leaking around the outside of the seal it would seem i would have to pull the seal to put some rtv around the tailhousing or else it wouldnt seal correctly. wish i could just try to dry up the fluid and put some rtv around it. guess ill have to pull the tail off.

Back