• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 (27 spline)

Harvo

NAXJA Forum User
I found lots of info on the 29 spline version... but since I just found out I have an 8.25 rear... will they hold up to a 4.0 / 4.10 to 4.56 gears / 33 inch tires / moderate wheeling?

Would someone mind posting a closeup of an 8.25 diff for Id purposes?

Thanks

I ran 35's on w/ 4.56's and no-slip on a 27 spline for a year with no problems. Then one day I was flex testing in a ditch and was getting ready to drive out. Told my buddie, "Bet I pop a shaft." 6 inches later. BAM.

It can work, carry spares.

The 8.25 has a flat lip on the bottom. I would post pics, but in the one's I have I've shaved the lip off and now it looks like a big version of a D35.

I think your 27 spline 8.25 will fare better than a D35, but only slightly. The Dana also has 27 spline shafts. The main difference between the two is that the 8.25 has bigger tubes and can withstand flex much better.

I would run the setup that you have listed and later, when you can, it is very easy to swap in 29 spline shafts and you won't have to buy new gears.

HTH

I also have the 27 spline 8.25. I was wondering how hard is it to make it 29 spline? Would I have to buy a new locrite? I just got one for the 27 spline.

It's good to know you can swap the 29's in. So it has a flat lip on bottom and looks like a bigger D35?

Are the 8.25's C-Clip as well? Is there anything to hold the axle and wheel in if you break one?

Exxon Valdez Jeep said:
I also have the 27 spline 8.25. I was wondering how hard is it to make it 29 spline? Would I have to buy a new locrite? I just got one for the 27 spline.
You will need a new locker made for 29 spline shafts. If you had an open differential, you would need to swap out the side spider gears. The other thing to change is the axle bearings. As far as I know, this is doable without pulling out the carrier, so you won't need to reset the gears.
Harvo said:
Are the 8.25's C-Clip as well? Is there anything to hold the axle and wheel in if you break one?
Yes, the 8.25 is a c-clip axle. If you were to break a shaft, there would be nothing to retain the shaft/wheel/tire.

Okie Terry said:
You will need a new locker made for 29 spline shafts. If you had an open differential, you would need to swap out the side spider gears. The other thing to change is the axle bearings. As far as I know, this is doable without pulling out the carrier, so you won't need to reset the gears.

Yes, the 8.25 is a c-clip axle. If you were to break a shaft, there would be nothing to retain the shaft/wheel/tire.

You have to replace the carrier also!

Yup. Found out about swapping out the carrier the hard way!

Here's some pics of my 8.25 diff, before and after grinding...

Before (see the mentioned lip below the Blue Torch diff cover):

back-before.jpg

After:

back-done.jpg

From the other side:

front-before.jpg

front-done.jpg

bburge

Back