• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to Make My Chrome Trim Black????

eric91xj

NAXJA Forum User
I want to convert my '91 laredo 4dr into the Cherokee Chief trim, what is gonna be involved in this? i know i can sand my bumpers and paint them black and remove my grey gladding and find the Cherokee Chief body cladding for the sides, but can i somehow paint my bumper end caps and flairs? and what about the chrome grill, door handles, roof rack, and window trim? can i paint it all black some how or does it all need replacing?

thanx,

Eric

Done see why you couldnt rattle can right over them...
Might wanna buff em up with soem fine sandpaper.

The bumper caps could be painted with black bumper paint. You need paint with flex additive, so just any old black paint won't last. However, bumper caps aren't expensive. Check the Quadratec catalog and you can just buy new ones.

Paint doesn't adhere well to chrome. Clean it very well, scuff it with fine steel wool, wipe it down with Prep-Sol before spraying, and you have a chance it'll last on the window trim. I would replace the door handles with black ones. There's no way paint's going to stick to the one you use every day.

My Chief came with chrome headlight bezells and a chrome surround around the grille. I had them roughen with some sandpaper, then I sprayed them with some grey primer and then with some flat black. Most of the places it is fine, but some were done by my son, and I think it is these parts that peel.

I should have gone with new, black parts from Quadratec, as Eagle suggested, but that requires a new grille and they didn't have it. The bezells are cheap though.

Rgds

Back