• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hidden Winch Questions

Eagle

Lifetime NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Thinking about the recent thread discussing the factory "hidden winch" option from the early days of the XJ. The write-up states that the winch mounting plate uses the optional factory tow hook brackets, which have an extra set of mounting holes allowing them to mount 3" or 4" forward of the usual position. I've seen the extra holes in my factory brackets, so I can confirm that they exist.

The question: It has been reported that Rusty's and C4x4's tow hook brackets are essentially clones of the factory brackets. Does anyone know if they include the extra mounting holes? I looked at the pic on the C4x4 web site but I couldn't see that part of the bracket well enough to tell if it has one or two sets of mounting holes.

For anyone who might have one of the original hidden winch mounting plates, how's cances of getting a measured drawing to use as a template for making up a copy?

TIA

Eagle, I had the hidden winch mout for a couple years but I recently sold the kit. I took a few pictures before I sold it, so here they are. You may also want to send a PM to 5-90, I gave him an extra bracket I had for the kit that he said he was going to reproduce. He may have a measured drawing for you.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

He already has - and we've started discussing it. I've still got that bracket you gave me a while ago, and I need to find it and draw it.

Those pix you posted - are they full-size, or reduced from original? If they've been reduced, can you email me copies of the originals, please? I can handle up to 10Mb in attachments at [email protected]. Thanks!

5-90

Eagle, I have this setup on my 87xj. The brackets are different than shown on the previous pics. My factory brackets have straps about 10 or so inches long that spread the load down the frame rails. I'll see if I can get my daughter to take some digital pics tomorow and post them. If you're interested, I have all the mounting instructions that came with the kit scanned and could email them.

I had C4X4 brackets on mine for awhile before I got my bumper...I don't remember any extra holes to mount it out further but it did have another hole further back that spread the load out some.

I have five XJs and MJs with the factory brackets, and all have the long extension back along the "frame" rail as part of the tow hook bracket, so I was curious about the brackets shown in the photos that don't have those extensions. But my real interest is in finding a ready-made source for as much of this stuff as possible, since it is no longer available from Mopar.

If Rusty's and/or Custom 4x4's tow hook brackets are true clones of the factory brackets, they should either have the extra set of holes or at least be cut to the factory profile so there's enough material there to allow an end user with a big drill to add the extra holes.

That's what I'm asking -- does anyone know for sure if Rusty's and/or C4x4's brackets include the extra set of holes for mounting the bumper 3" or 4" forward of the normal position?

I got the hidden winch kit through MEPCO 5years ago, it was shipped directly from Ramsey. The Ramsey hidden winch mounting kit part # is 295153. While doing my research before I bought the kit I talked to a Ramsey engineer and he told me the max capacity winch with this mount was 6000 lbs.

1901.jpg

1903.jpg

1905.jpg

1906.jpg

1907.jpg

Addendum: I remember when I was doing my research before I bought the hidden winch set up that the Ramsey sales data had a part # for what they called "extension brackets" for xj's that didn't have tow hooks. Of course I can't lay my hands on that stuff now, I know it's around here somewhere. I bet if you called Ramsey in Tulsa, wade through the telephone tree, you'll find a tech that recalls this stuff. I bet they still have some of these parts laying around in a warehouse somewhere.

I just looked at my C4x4 brackets and they dont have extra holes and it doesnt look like there's enough material to extend the bracket forward.

karstic said:
I just looked at my C4x4 brackets and they dont have extra holes and it doesnt look like there's enough material to extend the bracket forward.
That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for checking.

Eagle said:
I have five XJs and MJs with the factory brackets, and all have the long extension back along the "frame" rail as part of the tow hook bracket, so I was curious about the brackets shown in the photos that don't have those extensions. But my real interest is in finding a ready-made source for as much of this stuff as possible, since it is no longer available from Mopar.

If Rusty's and/or Custom 4x4's tow hook brackets are true clones of the factory brackets, they should either have the extra set of holes or at least be cut to the factory profile so there's enough material there to allow an end user with a big drill to add the extra holes.

That's what I'm asking -- does anyone know for sure if Rusty's and/or C4x4's brackets include the extra set of holes for mounting the bumper 3" or 4" forward of the normal position?

I'll take a picture of my brackets from Rusty's when I get home. I took them off when I put on my Rigidco bumper. From memory though I don't recall any extra holes but I'll check.

Oilburner, the heavy duty angle bracket on the inside of the frame rail(part of the tow hook mount kit) is removed and the winch mount bracket installed in its place.

Oil burner, the winch mount bracket is nothing more than a couple of angle iron pieces(probably high strength steel) welded together that span from frame rail to frame rail and are attached using the same bolts that that attach the tow hook brackets. When my daughter and here digital camera get home later, I'll see if we can get a couple of pics under the bumper. The winch mounting bracket is pre-punched with holes to accomadate a couple of different winch sizes.

Eagle said:
For anyone who might have one of the original hidden winch mounting plates, how's cances of getting a measured drawing to use as a template for making up a copy?

TIA

Hardware list?
Printed instructions?

Is the original kit usable with the Mopar front skid?
My tow hook brackets I scavenged from a recycler DO have both sets of holes, I didn't know why until now.

I called MEPCO's toll free line, Ramsey has faded it (kit# 295153) out of production.
The more I see, the more I want of these kits for my 92 XJ, too.

Last edited:
Mrfreakinwhite, I e-mailed the mounting instructions to you, let me know if they don't show up, I'll try again. Yes, the system works with the front MOPAR skid. Tomorrow(to dark now) I'll measure the winch mount bracket and post a sketch with dimentions, and maybe some pics.

Sweet, thanks.
Looking them over, I missed the inner angle braces at the boneyard when I got my hooks/brackets.
My Cherokee was not equipped with nuts-serts in the rearward holes at the end of the extension brackets, but DOES have them in the forward hole(s).

Back