• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Q on Guage Cluster 94' XJ - Compatible with a Similiar 95'?

XJStorm

NAXJA Member #1062
I have a 94' 6cyl 4.0L HO, Automatic 4Door XJ.

I found an Instrument cluster that includes a Tach out of a 95' 6cyl 4.0 Automatic. I don't know what years are compatible... anyone know if this would work in my rig? Pretty sure my existing cluster has guages vice idiot lights, except there is one small blank (where the fuel guage would go) and the fuel guage is where the Tach is. (left of Speedometer).

Read on the boards that some have done this, but that they needed to change some senders... I think that was due to lack of a guage vice a light, but again... not sure. Anything I need to do to get the Tach to work or just plug it in and go? (Note my cluster and one I found both do have trip meter) I understand my Odo will be incorrect unless the new one starts out less &I take it to a shop.

Thanks for any help!

The Cluster Swap Writeup linked from this site states, "The 91-96 gauge clusters are all interchangeable..." Just want to double check this before I spend $$$ on something I wouldn't be able to use.

Actuallly i too have a 94 xj and had those annoying idiot lights and no tach. I went to the junk yard and picked up one from a 93 and it was plug in play execept for two sensors. The two sensors are the oil pressure sender switch and the coolant temperature sender. I would pick them up at a autoparts store for about 15$ a piece.

Basically there are 2 kinds of cluster and they establish compatibility. YOu should be ok since the older ones are cable driven speedo while the newer ones are electronic. 90 + were electronic so you should be ok.

Goodluck...have fun
Pete

Thanks for the reply! Can't double check my cluster for a few days to verify I have the Guages vice Lights (which should mean no sensor replacements) as my XJ is in the shop following a fender bender last Sat...

Just went through this myself. I'm trying to remember what year the electronic change over is. I believe it's either 91 or 92 if memory serves. Just did this change out with my 1990. Typically 1986-1990 are pretty interchangeable, and from 1991-? are as well. ['96 does sound correct though] and from what I"ve seen, at least around here, not 91 on I've seen with the idiot lights a all. Just either has the large gas tank or the tach and the rest are idiot lights.
I have noticed going through the different years that with the 1990 and the 1991 I've noticed differences for sure.
True on the idiot lighs. If it's got the guages, and just not the tach like mine had, easy switch out. If it does have the idiot lights only with the speedometer, and the large gas tank guage, you'll find that you don't have all of the needed sensors, from what my research was telling me. Now whether you can add the sensors, that I really don't know. If you have a great CS oriented dealership like the one I've been going to here, they may be able to give you the info you need as well. I"ve had no problems getting print outs, or suggestions on how to go about things from them.
Hope you get it all sorted out and sorry to hear of your fender-bender. Ended up rebuilding my front end when I got mine from my bro due to one. Good learning experience how it all goes together though I found!

Have a great Christmas!

cykaaro said:
Just went through this myself. I'm trying to remember what year the electronic change over is. I believe it's either 91 or 92 if memory serves. Just did this change out with my 1990. Typically 1986-1990 are pretty interchangeable, and from 1991-? are as well. ['96 does sound correct though] and from what I"ve seen, at least around here, not 91 on I've seen with the idiot lights a all. Just either has the large gas tank or the tach and the rest are idiot lights.
I have noticed going through the different years that with the 1990 and the 1991 I've noticed differences for sure.
True on the idiot lighs. If it's got the guages, and just not the tach like mine had, easy switch out. If it does have the idiot lights only with the speedometer, and the large gas tank guage, you'll find that you don't have all of the needed sensors, from what my research was telling me. Now whether you can add the sensors, that I really don't know. If you have a great CS oriented dealership like the one I've been going to here, they may be able to give you the info you need as well. I"ve had no problems getting print outs, or suggestions on how to go about things from them.
Hope you get it all sorted out and sorry to hear of your fender-bender. Ended up rebuilding my front end when I got mine from my bro due to one. Good learning experience how it all goes together though I found!

Have a great Christmas!

It is 91-96. I swapped out an idiot cluster for a gauge/tach cluster on my 95. It's plug and play. The only sensors required are oil pressure and temp, and even for those it's possible to use the cluster before replacing them. The oil gauge will be pinned when running and drop to zero when pressure goes low, and similarly, as I recall, the temp gauge will be pinned at max until it overheats, then drop to zero (this is the reverse of the 86-90 version). The oil pressure sensor is a bit pricey even at auto parts stores, running around 30 bucks here.

I had a gauge/no tach cluster on my 87, but I've never seen one on a 91-96. I wonder if they dropped that version.

Back